Ultimate Subaru Message Board

kill switch?

jonas

Get a double pole switch and tap the one that goes live when the key is in the run position AND the one that goes live when you turn it to start. Don't know the colour codes offhand but both will be thick wires.

To find these wires it's easiest if you have a multimeter. First, pull apart the ignition loom connector, connect the -ve multimeter lead to an earthed chassis point, set the multimeter to 20v dc and find which wire is live (thick one) on the loom going to the engine bay.

Then switch the multimeter to the smallest ohm setting, connect one lead to the corresponding 'live' wire but on the ignition switch side of the connector. Turn the key to 'run' and find which connector shows 0 ohms. Make sure it's the right one by turning the key to 'acc', it should go to an open circuit.

Use the same technique to find the starter circuit - should be 0 ohms when the key is turned to start but open when not.

Do you have a test light? If you do, take the ignition and hook it back up, only way to figure it out. Then, connect one side of your test light to a known ground, like a bolt on the center console, and start testing which wires have power in different stages of the ignition (OFF, ACC, RUN, START). I wired in a pushbutton into my RX and it only gets power when the key is in the "START" position. I bet someone might have a FSM as well with a wiring diagram.