Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission seal

The mainshaft seal. I've never had to replace one before.

This will be the second engine rebuild for this wagon, so its got a few miles on it. and the trans is leaking ( I'M TALKING ABOUT BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS)

from behind the throwout bearing.

Clymer shows installing the seal with the mainshaft during final assembly. I

believe I would buy good a used trans before I dissassemble this one to replace a seal!

Well, I would consider a replacement. You have to pull the trans to do the seal anyway. It's a job to split the case. Not impossible, but certainly not fun.

Why not upgrade to a 5 speed? You just have to replace some of the shifter linkage. ....pretty easy.

I'm sure other will chime in here.

Todd

Well, I would consider a replacement. You have to pull the trans to do the seal anyway. It's a job to split the case. Not impossible, but certainly not fun.

Why not upgrade to a 5 speed? You just have to replace some of the shifter linkage. ....pretty easy.

I'm sure other will chime in here.

Todd

5 speed 4wd hooked to an ea71, is the fifth gear overdrive or 1-1?

Yeah,for 4WD unfortunately that's a case splitter if it's the main shaft seal.Looking at the manual makes me want to rip one apart.Sooner or later I'll be needing mine done too.

I'm pretty sure you can search for an '80 1600 4WD too,if you search online.Just have to make sure it's the top starter.