Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vibration after axle shaft installed

The Forester had a torn inner boot on the front right driveshaft. I usually do all maintenance and repair myself, but didn't have time, so I paid a very well regarded shop to do it. They replaced the shaft with new (not rebuilt) aftermarket unit.

Now it vibrates when accelerating through 15-20 mph. It doesn't do it below or above that speed. It is worse when turning right, and almost non-existent when turning left.

The mechanic thinks it is likely due to the 40mm strut top lift I have (SubaXtreme), and the new shaft that is likely tighter than the old one that came off (it had ~70k miles on it). It could also be that the aftermarket shaft has slightly different tolerances than a Subie shaft, but the AM unit is supposed to Meet Or Exceed OEM spec.

Anyway, he offered to put another shaft in there, and if the problem goes away, then he'll pay for it. If the problem persists, then it is likely due to the lift, and I'd have to pay for the 2nd shaft and install.

What should I do? The shaking is annoying, and probably isn't too good for the motor mounts.

change the axle. It shouldnt have any effect froim the lift. i bet the axle is bad or the worng one. Easy way to find out is jack up the car, turn the wheel to lock, and rotate the tire by hand and see if you can feel resistance. If the issue wasnt there with the old axle it shouldnt be there with the new one. Where did this "new" axle come from?

nipper

nipper is dead on. replacing that axle should in no way cause that to be happening. new axles with issues aren't that rare, seen it a number of times with other people on this site and i've had a brand new one explode within a week of installing...first time i ever saw the inside of a CV joint...all over the ground??? since then i'll always install a used Subaru axle before any aftermarkets.

I'll find out the brand of the AM axle. The owner of the shop said that they had bad experiences with rebuilt shafts not lasting too long, and had better experience with this AM brand.

It is beginning to sound like I should have it done again, but with a Subaru axle. That will probably cost me.

sometimes subaru prices aren't as bad as you'd think. price them online as well.

or get a used one, they can be had fairly cheap. if you have your old one you can have MWE in denver rebuild it for you, they are highly regarded on this site. they may even have these newer axles in stock. they are listed under the Vendor forum i believe.

As far as I can tell, it is installed properly.

New parts from SubaruGenuineParts will be about $263 picture here

The problem is, if I go with a rebuilt Subaru axle or a new Subaru axle, I'll probably have to pay for parts and labor myself. Sounds to me like you all think it is a bad install or a bad axle assy that is causing the problem. In that case, should I have them install another assy from the same manufacturer (which would be free if the wobble goes away)? What are the odds that will accually fix it?

Mountainbiker,

Have you made a decision on what to do? Or found out the brand of axle the shope used?

This thread points out again the low levels of service provided today, even from "very well regarded" shops. If the work/parts they sold/installed introduced a new problem, it is the shops responsibility to sort it for you.

I believe the tech claiming your lift is the cause is not an honest assesment. It seems unlikely that, on level ground, the axle angle is too extreme with the lift. How much does a stock Forry wheel droop when jacked up? Significantly more than 40mm. The axle should work fine at much more of an angle than you are experiencing while street driving.

Good luck with this situation. Post up your resolution.

Rob

order a rebuilt from MWE, they are highly respected and do great work in Denver CO. $100-$130 for axle and shipping probably? i'm flying to Denver Thursday and taking two with me for those guys! often they have axles in stock, so no wait (i have an XT6, a real freak of a subaru so they weren't sure they'd have it):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/forum/...ad.php?t=49775

Boy Gary,

I hope those are going to be in your checked bags as I'm not sure prisoners are allowed to use the internet.

My wife still reminds me that when I took my torque wrench from Austrialia to New Zealand that I conked another passenger with it. People just don't understand car guys.

Last year the security folks in Boston were actually cranky that I had a couple antique car carbs in my carry on luggage. Next time I guess they have to go in checked baggage.