Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 forester 2.5l vs 00 forester 2.5l

I have a 99 forester with the 2.5l sohc engine that has 80,000 miles and i lost compression on cyl number 3. I can get a compleate reman for $2500 or a used one from my work (wrecking yard) for $700. THe one from my work is from a 2000 and our computer says that they are different in 00 vs 99 but both are 2.5l sohc engines.

whats your thoughts

The engine is the same. Emissions and sensors are different. 99 is MAF, 00 is MAP hence the difference in the air cleaners. 99 on the fender, 00 on the rear throttle body. Other senors are different also. So long as you use all the 99 sensors and move them over, the mechanics of both are the same. Good luck.

ok i have my engine and trans out, and im goign to try this one from my work and just swap the accessories over.

anyone know if the intake manifold itself will be the same or i will have to change that to?

also (you can proubably tell ive never installed a subaru engine) when mounting the engine to the man transmission, i will need a clutch alignment tool im assuming. whats involved with that and how does that work?

thanks~

Isn't 2000 when they fixed the HG issue with the EJ25?

From what I've gathered reading these boards, 99 was the first year with the Phase II SOHC 2.5L in the forester, which fixed the blown headgasket problem of the Phase I DOHC and replaced it with the leaking head gasket problem. The fix for the leaking headgasket is the Subaru goo in the coolant.

cheers,

matt

ive got the engines side by side now, and it looks like the 2000 has a oil cooler above the oil filter. Im not quite sure if it is stock or not, but from what i can tell it is stock. The 2000 also had a man transmission in it.

sence the engine is out, im going to give a new timming belt, intake gaskets(due to me installin my old intake) and exhaust gaskets.

how hard is it to install a new water pump while im at it?