Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought my car with 149K miles. Just before I bought it, there was a 89K mile tranny put into it (the old one apparently had a bad reverse gear). I drove it around Seattle for 2 weeks and I didn't notice any odd noises.

Fast forward 1K miles later and 4300 feet higher. Now I'm noticing a whine while accelerating. I swear it's less noticeable at lower elevations (was at sea level last weekend). I'm pretty sure it's not the turbo I'm hearing -- since I do hear that along with this new whine. I've made an inspection appointment at the local AAMCO shop for next week. Additionally, I noticed there is a delay when in reverse, from when the car actually engages. Typically the engine will rev up to 2K before it kicks in. I know, not a good sign.

I made a recording with a crappy hand held recorder. There are two clips. Both I'm accelerating up a hill to about 70 mph when the tranny shifts and I then slow down.

http://bsod2600.home.comcast.net/subaru/tranny_noise.zip

Ideas on what it is?

Called AAMCO (1:30 pm) and they said there was a lot of metal in the bottom of the pan. The filter/cleanable screen was also clogged with metal. Said while filling the tranny, they had a funnel in there and acted like a megaphone where they could hear transmission working, which apparently is not good. Said they were just filling it up again with fluid to see how its working.

GUH! Not sounding good at all :(.

Well AAMCO called me back and they said the transmission is dying :eek: Going to charge me $1750 - 2000 to rebuild it. I'm going to think about it for a while.... I suppose now would be the time to contemplate doing a swap to a manual tranny. But DAMNIT, I just bought this car a month ago!!!

Yea, but the other problem is that I don't think there is anyone in this hicktown (Klamath Falls, OR) that could do the swap. Being a student, I really need transportation. Furthermore with winter close, it's getting damn cold so walking/biking to school becomes less and less of an option. I'd contemplate driving back to Seattle for a weekend if it could be swapped out in that short of a time frame.