Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82-Ej22 SO confused about Wiring!!!!

wagon_basher

So i got a 1989 GL-10 with digital dash-well the compression is gone and heads are cracked.. Well I was going to buy another ea82t before I found a Legacy wagon the generation after mine with a manual trans-wiring harness-ecu and motor with 88,000 miles but got crushed from the rear.. Well the guy wants to sell me the whole car for 90$.. SO i got to researching and read through all posts that I thought would help. Well im so confused. How do I wire up the fuel pump. What do i do about the digi dash. Ill probably use aftermarket gauges for oil pressure and water temp. I look at the ecu pinouts and It confuses me more. I get the whole adapter plate-flywheel modification-radiatior modification-crossmember mod-but wiring i get lost.. If anyone has an answer for me i would appreciate it.. THanks

what answer are you looking for?

from memory, most of the yellow wires are either battery hot or ignition hot, and most of the black wires are grounds, the white green goes to the water temp, and the green white goes to the oil pressure light, the black dark blue goes to the tach.

this isn't a project for the faint of heart. ShawnW or Caleb will cut and make your harness almost plug and play, but after it gets back to you it will still need a fair amount of work. Look for the right person in the Vendors forum.

Can't help you with the digi dash, my swap was a DL wagon with the analog setup, as for the fuel pump, there is a fuel pump relay in the legacy, run the black red wire to the fuel pump and ground out the output and it will run just fine.

Like Noah said, this is not a swap for the faint of heart. It's doable, but there really is a lot of work involved in the electrical part of it.

The basic concept of how the electrical system will work when it's all hooked up is this:

-All of the EA82 body wiring is left untouched so it can run the other systems in the car (lights, heater, etc.).

-The EJ22 ECM and its entire engine control harness must be swapped into the car. All of the "other stuff" that's not needed to run the engine is stripped off before installation. The EJ22 harness's contstant power, run/start power, starter signal, fuel pump control, alternator connections, and any others I may have forgotten are then spliced into the EA82 wiring harness. Aside from those connections, the two harnesses are separate entities.

Whatever you do, make sure you fully understand the swap before getting started. I had done a FI swap onto a carbed engine before my EJ22 swap, so I was pretty familiar with what had to happen, but I still had several issues come up that I had not expected.

Good luck!

definately gonna need the EJ ECU

and harness

you transfer everything connected to the ECU, the engine, the main relay, or the fuel pump into your GL. leaving your GL harness there (I took it out, and removed a ton of the engine stuff, and integrated them into one....but that's overkill).

round up all the powers and grounds (3 different ones, like noah said, IGN +, batt + and ground)

if there's anything that goes to one of the above things, and to something else on the other end, figure out what it's for, and if you need it. the radiator fan wiring is a good example, it's connected to the ECU on one end, but you don't need it. but if a wire is attached to the ECU on one end, and the engine on the other, you need to keep it.

if you have a wire that comes from the engine on one end, and doesn't go to the ECU, chances are it's your water temp wire....wire it into the dash. if it comes from the fuel pump relay and isn't a power or ground wire (via ECU), it goes to the pump itself, splice it in to the same wire on your GL (I had trouble finding mine....so I strung a new wire).

I have no idea what this means for the digital dash....I would assume, however, that the basic things still function in the same way.

and one of these days, I'm going to finish my write-up on the whole conversion