Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sealants, silicone etc for water pump etc

I'm replacing my water and oil pumps this weekend, just wondering, other than the gaskets, if it's necessary to have any sealants on bolts or anything. Also, if anyone has any info that might be handy and isn't covered in the repair manual.

I printed the timing belt instructions from the USRM, but other than that? Anything?

Be oh so careful with RTV on the oil pump, one little RTV booger can destroy your engine. Make sure your surfaces are cleaned with brake cleaner before doing it. I personally would never use RTV on a pressurized oil system. I used to be the tear-down guy at an engine shop and I saw too many spun main and rod bearings from the RTV Booger Devil.

As far as the coolant system, go for it. You might plug up a passage in the radiator or a steam hole somewhere, whoop-d-doo.

Well..let's hope I did it all right. Thanks for the posts, but unfortunately I wasn't around to check any of them, since I was doing it during those times. So far no leaks coming out of anywhere. Mostly I'm just amazed it actually started back up and runs.

I clean and wire brush all the bolts I take out and then use a light coating of moly/graphite engine assembly lube on the threads.

good tip, but i think using anti-seize compound might end up cheaper.

i may be wrong, come to think of it i dont think ive ever actually PURCHASED either. large families are great :lol: (i have four brothers, a father, and an uncle and the only one who isnt a "car guy" is the professional mechanic:eek: )

also, what about using a thin layer/application of lightweight grease for the oil seals and o-rings to facilitate proper sealing when installing, and to hlep make the gasket stick? thats just something that ive always done when it was an option myself... any qualms?