Ultimate Subaru Message Board

first time Subaru owner.

recently bought a 97 2.5L Legacy GT and i'm wondering where the best place to start on this car would be.

i would obviously like some improvement in the performance and mileage but within a resonable price.

(p.s. please feel free to let me know of any common problems with this model/ things they are notorious for)

thanks a lot! :drunk:

they are notorious for blowing head gaskets, if they havn't been done, then you should be very careful about over heating it. this is only for the EJ25 motor, the EJ22 is rock solid. Once the headgaskets have been replaced by an updated part, you should have no problems.

The timing belt should be replaced if you don't know when it was last, when they break in the EJ25, you will ruin valves, which gets real expensive real fast.

they are notorious for blowing head gaskets, if they havn't been done, then you should be very careful about over heating it. this is only for the EJ25 motor, the EJ22 is rock solid. Once the headgaskets have been replaced by an updated part, you should have no problems.

The timing belt should be replaced if you don't know when it was last, when they break in the EJ25, you will ruin valves, which gets real expensive real fast.

GRRR

10-15% of production does not make it notorious. As with any aluminum engine regularly change coolant and dont let it over heat.

Change the trany fluid if an automatic to avoid torque bind.

not alot you can do for perfomance or mileage. They are reliable cars but a bit boring, though i like my 2.5L

nipper

GRRR

10-15% of production does not make it notorious. As with any aluminum engine regularly change coolant and dont let it over heat.

Change the trany fluid if an automatic to avoid torque bind.

not alot you can do for perfomance or mileage. They are reliable cars but a bit boring, though i like my 2.5L

nipper

hey, thanks.

sorry, torque bind?....told you i was new.

How many miles are on it? If you don't know when any of the following was last done, the best way to improve performance and mileage is to do a tuneup: plugs, plug wires, PCV valve, air filter, fuel filter, major fluids (trans, diff, brake, coolant/thermostat), etc.

Brian M.

How many miles are on it? If you don't know when any of the following was last done, the best way to improve performance and mileage is to do a tuneup: plugs, plug wires, PCV valve, air filter, fuel filter, major fluids (trans, diff, brake, coolant/thermostat), etc.

Brian M.

Another worthy thing to keep in mind: If it ever overheats or appears to be headed that way, Turn the engine off.Subaru engines (all alluminun alloy) are very sensitive to this, moreover, I should know since I am having mine compltely rebuilt next week.

John

Brian M.

I second this sentiment whole-heartedly.

And get extra weight out of the car, that improves performance AND gas mileage.