Ultimate Subaru Message Board

you need a 24" (min., 36" is better) breaker bar 3/4" drive. you won't use it everyday, but when you need it you'll have it.

Picked up a 24" 3/4" breaker bar and socket assortment this morning at harborfreight, came home and had the nut off in about 3min. Thanks for the advice guys. I look forward to helping some other folks down the road.

did you use a pipe or are you just a tough guy?

No pipe and it was actually an 18" breaker. Unfortunately I got in deeper and have now stripped the locking bolt on the ball joint:confused: :mad::confused: I'm going to search the forum for work arounds. I guess in the worst case I may have to disconnect the strut to see if that gives me enough room to get the shaft out. I'm going to pick up some stripped bolt socket things first but if all else fails...

Off the top of my head I think some guys have had to cut that bolt off with a Dremal and drill it out. I bet some of the other folks who have done a lot of these have some good ideas for you.

I think I am about ready to try drilling it out from the backside and using a longer bolt with a nylock and lockwasher (with antisieze of course)

If you would just consider moving to CA this stuff can actually be dissasembled. Good luck!

I swear it's not my fault! I got billited out here and I would give anything to get back to the west coast. We'll see how the cards play out when I am up for transfer again. I'd honestly like to get back to washington but I'll settle for oregon, nor-cal, or alaska again.

you can do that but it's possible to damage the boot on the ball joint with a pickle fork so be careful. To get mine off I used a puller I rented from autozone and a prybar. The bolt wasn't really willing to come out of the control arm, but once I had the puller pushing on the end of the bolt, the prybar between the arm and knuckle, it popped off with a shot from a hammer. Strangly enough the ball joint slid right out.