Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 3 weeks later...

If B11S goes into production, judging by the specs, the car would probably go for about $35,000 for the base model nad go up to about $45,000. This is all in US Dollars. However, recent rumblings hint that B11S may be scrapped altogether. Others say it isn't scrapped and, in fact, the B11S IS the new Impreza, so who knows? :banghead:

I seriously doubt that the B11S is the new Impreza. With those prices, the B11S is two grand MORE than a new STi. I think it's more likely that the Baja will be scrapped, the Impreza will be updated by 2007-8 and take up the small-car niche from $18K-$35K and the B11S will slot in above the Impreza STi. Very little about the Baja is being said at the two dealers I go to here other than "Yes, we have them on the lot"; "No, they aren't selling well": and "I have no idea what they're going to do about the Baja."

And bear in mind, the Impreza wasn't updated for '04, they just shuffled models around, added the STi and axed the round headlights.

Originally posted by WagonsOnly

I seriously doubt that the B11S is the new Impreza. With those prices, the B11S is two grand MORE than a new STi. I think it's more likely that the Baja will be scrapped, the Impreza will be updated by 2007-8 and take up the small-car niche from $18K-$35K and the B11S will slot in above the Impreza STi. Very little about the Baja is being said at the two dealers I go to here other than "Yes, we have them on the lot"; "No, they aren't selling well": and "I have no idea what they're going to do about the Baja."

And bear in mind, the Impreza wasn't updated for '04, they just shuffled models around, added the STi and axed the round headlights.

The death of the Baja will come shortly, there is no redesign of the Baja for 2005. Subaru is dropping an existing turbo setup into the Baja to get them off the lots.....

I have a hunch that the B11S will go into production in low quantities (maybe 5,000) and sell for more than $50K. It would be Subaru's "Acura NSX" and be used for marketting to draw attention to Subaru's other fine products. The SVX was supposed to do this, but it did not. The SVX is now a "cult car" and is probably more popular now than when it was in production. The SVX was too outrageous for Subaru in 1992, but now with the WRX STi, the B11S will not be out of place.

The market for luxury sport coupes is rather limited, but the luxury sport sedan market is still hot and should be for some time.

Subaru will fill the luxury sport sedan market with the forthcoming Legacy STi priced in the $32-40K range.

With Infinity's forthcoming all wheel drive G35 coming, it will be very interesting to see where the Legacy STi fits in...

Yup the death for the baja is already coming. This is the last year for them here in canada. Even the dealership where I work is selling final models for $9000 less then normal-to clear them out. Kinda sad to see it go, I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either :eh:

Mark,

It really is too bad. I wish they'd kept the current OB/Baja platform and just redesigned the Legacy--why not differentiate the two models? They could still share drivetrain parts, but different sheetmetal/suspensions would have (a) given purpose to having 2 different midsized cars and (B) maybe kept the Baja alive longer.

I bet, though, that a Forester-based Baja with an extended cab as an option and a dual-range tranny available would've done ten times better. Even Consumer Reports gave the Baja a thumbs-up--but only if you could figure out what to do with such a vehicle.

Originally posted by alias20035

I have a hunch that the B11S will go into production in low quantities (maybe 5,000) and sell for more than $50K. It would be Subaru's "Acura NSX" and be used for marketting to draw attention to Subaru's other fine products. The SVX was supposed to do this, but it did not. The SVX is now a "cult car" and is probably more popular now than when it was in production. The SVX was too outrageous for Subaru in 1992, but now with the WRX STi, the B11S will not be out of place.

The market for luxury sport coupes is rather limited, but the luxury sport sedan market is still hot and should be for some time.

Subaru will fill the luxury sport sedan market with the forthcoming Legacy STi priced in the $32-40K range.

With Infinity's forthcoming all wheel drive G35 coming, it will be very interesting to see where the Legacy STi fits in...

The B11S is hardly in the same class as the cura NSX which is more of a "poor-man's" exotic car. The B11S is more akin to the Nissan 350Z... top sports model in its lineup, but not totally outrageous or exotic to become some rich boy's niche toy.

Originally posted by HB_Dad

The B11S is hardly in the same class as the cura NSX which is more of a "poor-man's" exotic car. The B11S is more akin to the Nissan 350Z... top sports model in its lineup, but not totally outrageous or exotic to become some rich boy's niche toy.

I was not trying to do a direct comparison, just noting that Acura produces a low volume "show car", and that would be what the B11S becomes. The B11S would be a close match for a Nissan Z, or Mazda RX-8 in terms of size and seating (2+2), but the B11S is a much heavier sports touring car (something like 3700 lbs!).