Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Subaru has a TSB out on engine noise. If I remember correctly: from a

cold start if any piston noise goes away after 5 minutes it is

considered OK. If the noise persists after 5 minutes then the warranty

kicks in and the pistons or cylinder block is replaced. Maybe someone

can get you the TSB number so you can read it yourself."

I received this helpful advice on another forum. Does it ring a bell for anyone? Do you know the TSB number?

My mechanic said he couldn't find such a TSB on Alldata.

Thanks.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this info is from

http://www.toad.net/~rrubel/bulletin.html.

PISTON SLAP IN 98 2.5L ENGINES

I don't have official wording on this, but the problem and solution are as follows:

A redesign of the piston "skirt" (the metal ring that sits above the piston head and surrounds the piston shaft) to lighten weight and improve performance has left the skirt too short and the piston may travel excessively from side to side, especially when cold. The symptoms include a ringing/tapping sound that doesn't go away completely when the engine is warmed up, and gets worse with age. The solution is to replace the entire short block (most of the engine) and pistons with redesigned ones. If you can convince the dealer that this is your problem, they're usually pretty easy about doing the work

1997MY ENGINE NOISE (9/96)

'97MY engines have been fitted with solid valve lifters. These lifters help increase the power of the engines.

The 2.5l engine in '97 uses a lifter setup that requires the use of a shim to adjust the clearace.

A characteristic of this type of setup is a slight tapping noise, heard especially at idle, under the hood. The intensity of the noise may vary with engine temperature. Typically, this noise is not apparent in the passenger compartment. It is imperative that you discuss this operating characteristic with all dealer service personell to prevent unnecessary and unsuccessful attempts to totally eliminate this noise.

Every engine is being closely screened for noise level at the production line. We are confident that each engine meets our standards for operating noise at the time of production.