Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will 99 Outback exhaust system fit on 91 Legacy?

well, it isnt so much dependent on the engine as it is dependent on the body. an OBS (impreza) exhaust on a legacy wont work, as you would need to reroute some pieces and redo hangers and just isn't cost effective (heck, it might not even be long enough to exit out the back)

Manarius is right, the later EJ22's are single port. I wanna say 97 and later myself, but I could be wrong.

NOW... a later model Legacy exhaust will fit on an older Legacy. I have a stock 98 Legacy GT catback exhaust on my 91 Legacy. It was mainly because I got a really good deal on it, and it had the larger single-tip, which I preferred over the two smaller tips.

Manarius is right, the later EJ22's are single port. I wanna say 97 and later myself, but I could be wrong.

NOW... a later model Legacy exhaust will fit on an older Legacy. I have a stock 98 Legacy GT catback exhaust on my 91 Legacy. It was mainly because I got a really good deal on it, and it had the larger single-tip, which I preferred over the two smaller tips.

You're probably right with 97 - that's the phase 1.5 EJ22 with the solid lifters and interference design (boo on interference)

If your old exhaust is falling apart, you can have a muffler shop custom bend the pipes for you and place the newer muffler and resonators on your 1991. That may save you some cash. I went through 2 aftermarket mufflers that droned. I finally took an used low mileage '02 model legacy/outback muffler and had it welded onto the '93 legacy. It's nice and quiet now.