Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So according to the notice on the visor, my '97 OBW is up for its air bag inspection down at the dealer. Anyone have any idea what this entails, how much it costs, etc?

I'm tempted to brush it off, but the last thing I need is to get into an accident, have some issue with the airbags, and have my insurance company refuse the claim due to my airbags not being inspected at the proper time. Yeah, I don't trust 'em not to find a loophole :cool:.

LOL i kinda think that is funny. I dont know maby im wrong, but ive worke with air bags every day and lots of people who rebluild wrecked cars with blown air bags.

The air bag system consist of air bags, air bag control module, and a few sensors depending on the type of car and what year it is.

THe way the washington state patrol inspects the air bag system if a vehicle is wrecked and rebuilt is they turn the car on. If the air bag light comes on first when starting and shuts off right away, then it has a good air bag system. Thats it!

LIke i said maby they like to go through all the wires and stuff to make sure none have come loose, but if something was wrong your air bag light would come on and stay on. or the light wouldent come on at all ever.

The way the washington state patrol inspects the air bag system if a vehicle is wrecked and rebuilt is they turn the car on. If the air bag light comes on first when starting and shuts off right away, then it has a good air bag system. Thats it!
That's funny, when I took my car in for it's inspection (Yakima), they never looked at that, in fact, I removed the bags in my car, the covers are there, but there is nothing under them.

Shouldn't you be more concerned that someone was needlessly injured because the airbags didn't operate properly?

I heal. Unless I'm dead, at which point I don't have to worry about my health any more (at least, nobody's sent me a postcard from the other side, saying otherwise). Now, if I'm in the process of healing when the insurance company calls up and lets me know they're not going to be paying my bills 'cause of some loophole, I'm going to be miserable and hurting. I'd rather be just hurting. Besides, I'm still young, and relatively invincible :D.

My air bag light comes on for a few seconds at start, then turn off, like normal. I'll give the dealership a call tomorrow.

I'd be interested to know what the dealer says too. I'd suspect it might just be a method for the manufacturer to limit liability if the air bags fail to operate correctly. I don't know how the whole air bag thing works, like I'm guessing auto makers typically buy the modules and stuff from some supplier, and maybe the supplier says the thing needs to be inspected every 10 years. Or I heard the auto industry typically designs for a 10 year lifespan.

I was wondering about this last year with my 95 Outback Wagon.

I did some googling and I found this column from the Car Talk guys and it put my mind at ease. I've read elsewhere on the web that the dealer airbag inspection is a visual inspection of the airbag covers and nothing else (well, probably making the ABS light is functioning properly).

cheers,

Matt

I think that since it was a new technology in the early 90's and they didn't know how long they would last they guesstimated on when they should be checked out.

30 years from now they will have a much better idea on how well airbags fair over long periods of time.

That's funny, when I took my car in for it's inspection (Yakima), they never looked at that, in fact, I removed the bags in my car, the covers are there, but there is nothing under them.

WOW! Im actualy shocked! Did your car come in as a wrecked car and you went in to get a rebuilt title?

WOW! Im actualy shocked! Did your car come in as a wrecked car and you went in to get a rebuilt title?
Well, it wasn't a wrecking yard, but it did require a rebuilt title. I don't believe that there is any law that states if your car was equiped from the factory with air bags that the car has to have them after rebuild, if fact some cars come with a switch that you can turn the bag system off if you want to now. I can't believe how much damage is done by air bags deploying. My car would not have had a broken windsheild if it weren't for the air bag. When the one on the steering wheel deployed, it broke something that caused the horn not to function until you replaced the turn signal and wiper switch assys. The inspector also didn't check to see if the horn honked, which it didn't at the time of the inspection.

Hey, let us know what you find out from them. I'd like to know if I'm supposed to get my '96 OBW's bags checked.

actually i thought it was ever ten years inspect seat belts and air bags

i think they just inspect the weave of the belt to make sure its not stretched, and scan the air bag system.

nipper