Ultimate Subaru Message Board

piggy back chips.. do they work??

Guest FlyStyle

I dont know if this post came up before but the search doesnt work so here i go...

at this site.. IWTU, www.iwtu.net/products.html

there is a chip that is suppose to give more torque etc, but i just wanted to know if any board members have anything to say about this $250+ item and the actual benefits.

thanks

ali

Guest synapse79

Ive been looking into piggy-back ecus as well. I was looking at buying one last summer, somwhere i have a link to a page that sells two different ones. I'll dig up the link when i get a chance, at work right now. One of the ECUs used spade connectors so it could be plugged in and removed easier.

They are suppose to add a little horsepower by changing the air/fuel curves around and the ones i was looking at got rid of an acceleration limiter and the top speed limiter at 109mph.

Has anybody had experience with these?

Guest Legacy777

I've got the torque 2 chip. I've had mixed results. I've had the chip in and out. The first time I had it in, car didn't run good, but that was my fault, a wire got loose. I put it back in, it ran better, but I got horrible gas mileage, and performance seemed worse. I've recently taken chip out, and the car is much happier, (peakier). The spark plugs were sooted up, so it was getting too much fuel. I have some other issues i'm trying to work out, so I'm not sure if the chip compounded those problems, or possibly not letting the chip reach its full potentional, but for right now, the car runs better with it out.

I personally know Al, the designer/builder of the chips and he's a good guy. Other people have said the chips make a difference, and I do think they do. I think some cars, ie older ECU's may not respond the same as the newer ECU's.