Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-lug Swap Question

mikeshoup

yep, lots of good info in the write-up.

the rear suspension (and therefore the way the brakes mount) is completely different. and the lower front suspension is completely different aswell, the EA car/XT6 uses control arm/leading rods, whereas the EJ cars use an A-arm....

I still can't figure out the difference between XT6 control arms and EA82 control arms....

I still can't figure out the difference between XT6 control arms and EA82 control arms....

What's the difference in tie rod ends?

If the control arms are the same, then one *could* do it using only EJ stuff on the front and the XT6 tie rod ends (or are these even different?)?

I think the difference in the XT6 control arm and other EA82 control arms is that the hole for the ball joint is largre on the XT6 one. Not sure of exact sizes tho.

Correct!!!

the hole for the lower ball joint and the tierod end are both larger on the XT6. but you can use JDM WRX ball joints and tierods. so this may mean that USDM impreza ball joints and tie rod ends may work also in the XT6 knuckle. and easier/cheeper to find.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

But the ball joints is still larger, so no way out of using the XT6 control arm?

Its just that XT6s are so hard to find in salvage yards.

Would it be possible to use a tapered drill bit to drill EA82 control arms to accecpt larger ball joints? It would probably be hard to find a bit with the correct taper tho.

What's the difference in tie rod ends?

If the control arms are the same, then one *could* do it using only EJ stuff on the front and the XT6 tie rod ends (or are these even different?)?

control arms are completely different than EJ stuff, which use lower A-arms. I just wasn't certain of the difference between XT6 and regular EA82, since they look identical...but now I know.

and I'm fairly certain that EJ tie rod ends have different thread dimensions than an EA, whicn is why XT6 rod ends must be used.

The EJ control arms are way different, like stated. Our control arms have the bushing that has a bolt that goes through it on the engine crossmember and thenw e have a stabilizer bar that goes back at an angle to the transmission crossmember. Now the EJ control arms have the same style of bushing that goes into the engine crossmember, BUT, where it mounts back at the tranny crossmember, its the same bushing style as the front, and both bushings are in a straight line to each other, not angled like our stabilizer bar.

Yes, you can ream out your stock control arms to accomidate the larger ends of the XT6/Impreza/Legacy balljoints instead of trying to find XT6 control arms. I've seen it done. Physically, they are the same except for the balljoint hole and some XT6s have a larger control arm bolt then EA82s. Ran into it twice but I have figured out a way to give stock EA82s a camber angle adjustment but for right now, thats my secret until I get it worked out.;)