Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To all family and friends,

If you know anyone considering purchasing a Subaru, DO NOT let them. I brought my car into Schaller Subaru because of an electrical problem. The car had been there several times, for the same issues, prior to today. According to Schaller, Subaru HQ refuses to pay for the repairs now that the car is out of warranty. Also according to Schaller, the repair will take a few days and a loaner is not covered either.

It appears they will do what it takes to get the car past the

warranty. Once the warranty period is over, the customer is on his/her own. YOU HAVE TO LOVE SUBARU?S GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Just for comparison sake, VW never treated me this way. In fact, after a year of ownership, VW swapped my car with reoccurring problems for a new car of my choice. I kick myself everyday for leaving VW.

So, if you know someone considering a Subaru, let them know before they run into a similar problem. This knowledge will allow them to make a more informed decision, and hopefully save them from multiple

headaches.[/font]

If you know anyone considering purchasing a Subaru, DO NOT let them. I brought my car into Schaller Subaru because of an electrical problem. The car had been there several times, for the same issues, prior to today. According to Schaller, Subaru HQ refuses to pay for the repairs now that the car is out of warranty. Also according to Schaller, the repair will take a few days and a loaner is not covered either.

warranty. Once the warranty period is over, the customer is on his/her own. YOU HAVE TO LOVE SUBARU?S GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Just for comparison sake, VW never treated me this way. In fact, after a year of ownership, VW swapped my car with reoccurring problems for a new car of my choice. I kick myself everyday for leaving VW.

So, if you know someone considering a Subaru, let them know before they run into a similar problem. This knowledge will allow them to make a more informed decision, and hopefully save them from multiple

headaches.[/font]

Wait, wait, wait. You do not like the fact the dealership will not pay for stuff out of warranty. And your VW was sooo bad that they yanked the car so you could not lemon-law it... but you kick yourself for leaving VW??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would just say you do not like the service at Schaller Subaru and leave it at that. Sorry you're having problems.

I've brought my car in four times in the first six months for repairs on a brand new Baja. The fourth time was the worst, my first and second gear broke free and I drove to the dealership in third gear, and it was in for the transmission three days prior. Atleast warranty covered it.

headaches.[/font]

Appears you may have some issues with this specific dealership, as it is my experience that the various dealership service levels vary greatly. Have you asked (calmly) to speak to the regional service rep to plead your case? Also, if this is a continuing problem that has been ongoing when the vehicle was under warranty, you may want to contact your state's attorney general and find out what action/rights you have under lemon law or repairs that do not "stay repaired". Might want to consider another local dealer if possible.

Subaru's have some issues just like any other vehicle out there (although electical issues is normally not one of them, unlike VW's). You just happen to be unlucky with dealing with an annoying electrical problem (details please, maybe people here can offer some practical advice/experience with your problem).

Paul

96 Outback - 205K

05 Outback XT - 36K

Appears you may have some issues with this specific dealership, as it is my experience that the various dealership service levels vary greatly. Have you asked (calmly) to speak to the regional service rep to plead your case? Also, if this is a continuing problem that has been ongoing when the vehicle was under warranty, you may want to contact your state's attorney general and find out what action/rights you have under lemon law or repairs that do not "stay repaired". Might want to consider another local dealer if possible.

Subaru's have some issues just like any other vehicle out there (although electical issues is normally not one of them, unlike VW's). You just happen to be unlucky with dealing with an annoying electrical problem (details please, maybe people here can offer some practical advice/experience with your problem).

Paul

96 Outback - 205K

05 Outback XT - 36K

I have to agree, the issue sounds like a crappy dealership rather than an issue with the subaru itself. you may be wise in advising people not to got to that dealer. I would also take you issues to SOA directly, in a Calm Professional manner. Lemon Law sounds like it can apply here too. But to claim that your experience with a bad Stealership means people should not buy a Subaru makes no sense at all. As for VW being more reliable than Subaru, I find that hard to swallow. what you indicate in your post is that the VW dealer was much more concerned with customer satisfaction that the subaru dealer... Get Real!!!

Not the same problem, however the same response from Subaru. I have a Subaru Forester which is three and half years old and out of warranty therefore. The drivers seat (cloth) has started to split, along the plastic trim at the edge and the passengers seat is coming apart at the ba. I have driven dozens of cars over the years to very high mileages and never before have I had the upholstery fail so badly. Subaru UK sent me a very curt letter saying that the guarantee had run out and they could not be expected to look after a car indefinetly. I would have lived with a mechanical fault, but the upholstery is just not fit for purpose. Can you imagine what this will do to the resale value of the car. I have the greatest praised for the the mechanical side of the car and it drives like a sports saloon. However I shall not be bying another. Mechanics excellent, interior trim, rubbish.

Dude that does suck that the interir is that bad so early. I had a 2000 GTP and when it was 2yrs old my driver seat started to crack, it was pleather though. I would rather get my grandma to sew a seat back together then have to buy a new tranny. Think of it that way, you'll be much happier

Although it certainly could be a manufacturing defect that led to his seat-cloth problem, I can certainly understand a manufacturer being EXTREMELY reluctant to extending a warranty for that. How would they know if someone is constantly in and out of the vehicle that weighs 400 lbs. - or is wearing a tool belt, etc.

Still, if the defect is obviously from the factory, getting a 'zone rep' to look at it should be do-able. Sometimes they will split the cost of repair with you or offer to pay the labor if you buy the part/whatever.

Carl

Not the same problem, however the same response from Subaru. I have a Subaru Forester which is three and half years old and out of warranty therefore. The drivers seat (cloth) has started to split, along the plastic trim at the edge and the passengers seat is coming apart at the ba. I have driven dozens of cars over the years to very high mileages and never before have I had the upholstery fail so badly. Subaru UK sent me a very curt letter saying that the guarantee had run out and they could not be expected to look after a car indefinetly. I would have lived with a mechanical fault, but the upholstery is just not fit for purpose. Can you imagine what this will do to the resale value of the car. I have the greatest praised for the the mechanical side of the car and it drives like a sports saloon. However I shall not be bying another. Mechanics excellent, interior trim, rubbish.

I am surprised this happened to you, my Forester's interior is in solid shape with many years/miles on it. I find most car makers/ Dealers about the same in terms of warranty, they don't want to talk to you after the expiration.

With respect, I disagree with your preferance of having a greater tolerance for mechanical problems: This week I get my car back (engine rebuild) and this cost $ 4000.00. In contrast I have priced my seats, and Subaru makes them rather easy to replace (just the cushions) at about $400.00 each. I find it much easier and less expensive to find good quality used upholstery for Suabaru, this as opposed to mechanical parts.

You should see all the nasty things the BMW list says about UK dealers. I've noticed i this case its not so much the mfg, as they are just doing what they have to by law, and nothing else. If BMW isnt rising to the occasion, i doubt anyone else will. This is more a reflection of consumer law.

At least hee in the US and the problem is documented, you at least have something to stand on.

nipper

Sounds to me (too) like you've got a bad dealership. I specifically kept my mouth shut about the warranty extension on the external headgasket leak on my wife's '00 OBW... the dealership stepped up, brought the warranty extension "to my attention", and warned me not to go over the 100,000 mile limit (I was 90 miles away from it). They continued to show this care for their customers (at least for the wife and I) on another two separate occasions.

On the other hand, I've also had another local Subaru dealership treat us with dismal customer service. I can't blame Subaru for this. Same thing with retail stores... there are some with excellent customer service, and there are other who just plain suck. Sometimes the company is to blame, and sometimes they should be given some allowance.

True, but to make a truely informed decision, one must hear all sides.
look at trends and statistics, not individual experiences and results from questionable dealerships/mechanics. you are not a mechanic or well informed about cars, therefore your experience could easily be tainted by things not related to the vehicle at all. did you buy the car used? did you take it to more than one mechanic for a second oppinion? what kind of electrical issues? has this car ever been wrecked, flooded, damaged...etc? lots of info left out to make an "informed" decision. was the battery every connected backwards, car jump started? lots of things can cause issues that aren't attributable to the vehicle.

VW's? if my friends could make it to 100,000 miles without loosing massive amounts of oil, mufflers, breaking down between maryland and west virginia, CE lights coming on and breaking hoses (all of these this year by the way) on their VW's (which i end up looking at and/or fixing)....maybe i wouldn't completely laugh at the thought of choosing one of those as my next vehicle.

So, what I am hearing is you all feel that once the warranty is up, you are responsible for everything there after.

I am sorry, but I feel that if there were several attempts to repair an issue with my vehicle, while the vehicle was well within the warranty period, the same problem should be addressed, when the vehicle is out of warranty, as if it were a warranty item. I was probably spoiled by VW.

I do agree that Schaller is probably to blame, especially since I caught them in a lie, but I am working with what Schaller said Subaru HQ reported to them. The vehicle has been to a few other dealers. I stayed with Schaller because they are the ones who got the problem to repeat.

As for VW, they made every attempt to repair my vehicle. When they could not, they replaced my vehicle. No questions asked. Has any one ever had the same experience with Subaru?

I personally have been in contact with Subaru HQ. Several times while the car was under warranty, and once recently now that the car is out of warranty. They made the attempts to help while the car was warrantied. Now that the car is not warrantied, NOTHING! They have not responded to any e-mails.

Finally, I never once raised my voice, used belligerent words or made any threats. (FYI to the person who made this insinuation) I am usually very passive.

sounds like your VW dealer is better to deal with than the subaru dealer. electrical issues are very very rare, even in 20 year old subaru's. unless they experienced some kind of damaging situation (already mentioned).

if they worked on the problem before i agree with you, i'd expect them to fix it if it was a problem before the warranty expired. i would have disconnected the speedometer cable before rolling over the warranty mileage until they fixed it.

with some persistence they may still fix this. can you take a look at your warranty contract and see if there's a grace period for pre-warranty issues? make sure you don't go beyond the time frame or mileage if there is before getting on their case. i'm not up on the warranty details, but you still could get this fixed.

i missed the "had this problem before"....how long before? how many times?

they may just be trying to blow you off, i'd be persistent and ask to speak with management. they don't make money by working on as many warranty claims as possible, sometimes some convincing will do the trick. like they say...the squeaky wheel gets the oil. which drives me crazy because i like to be fair and reasonable, i don't like being persistent and rude...but that is what usually gives results with moronic, questionalbe mechanics.

after this issue....take your soob to the VW dealer!