Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5spd into ea81 trouble! help! (pics and questions)

Maybe - but again, that depends on the year, and which tunnel sheet metal was used that year. There may be several, and each could require a different amount. 1/4" might work on one, but might not be enough on the next one you do. Comprehensive research needs to be done on each part number, and what it entails to do the swap correctly. Making a spacer that doesn't work is worse than giving me nothing at all. At least I don't have to pay for nothing. And most of us can adjust the amount with some washers...... that was my idea BTW - I had like 37 washers on my tranny before the lift. Made it driveable, but it still hit the tunnel. The 2WD tunnels are REALLY small. Just be glad you didn't have all the conversion work I had......

GD

put a 5 spd in an 83 turbo wagon, an 83 2wd 5spd, converted an ea82 from 4x4 auto to 5spd, and 2wd auto to 5spd 4x4.

on the turbo wagon, i used the clutch pedal box from an 83 2wd 5spd, works perfect.

on the 2wd 5spd, i used the original cable.

on the ea82 auto, i used from an 86, and the 2wd to 4wd used from an 88

the 83 turbo had a 3 in lift, no tunnel mods. the 83 2wd had holes cut out of the side for the 4wd lever and the big square protrusion on the back of the tranny.

and also, what q-man said:D

i built the front lift at the same time of the transmission install. i did have to cut the shifter hole out a little for 5th gear and reverse. the mt crossmember had to go in in place of the at's

before i had the lift, the tranny would go most of the way in, but hung down an inch or so too far. that is why i say make some washers to drop the crossmember down up to an inch or so, witht e combination of say, beating out the tunnel.

its the big fat square part of the 5-speed that doesnt want to fit.

and where the 24wd lever that runs alongside the tranny wants to hit the tunnel

when i cut out for the 2wd, i actuall cut alot more than i needed to.

well after i got my tranny in in my NON-LIFTED wagon WITH Jerry's kit, there is only one place it is rubbing. there is a protrusion on the tranny, doesnt look important, but it doesnt touch when the car is sitting, but when its rocking around, it bangs around a bit. i think that ill just whack the tunnel a half inch or so. other than that and the 4WD light i didnt have any problems.