Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dual range tranny in my single range wagon

soobadood

hey out there, i wanted to know if anyone has info on swapping a d/r tranny in my '83 single range wagon?

a friend said he didnt think it would work cuz he thought the starter location is off to the side w/ the d/r and more up top on my '83.

i am going w/ a 5-6" lift on it w/ a.a. 15" wheels, probably 27" swampers too. i think that the drop of the engine would allow for the clearance for the side mounted starter, but i am not sure. any ideas?

:banana:

Youre starter is on the drivers side top not in the center. The 5spd dual range fits real nicely. Its just shorter so you need a different driveshaft or the 4 spd dual range fits like a glove without much of anything but some trim pieces inside the car and an extra bracket underneith.

Youre starter is on the drivers side top not in the center. The 5spd dual range fits real nicely. Its just shorter so you need a different driveshaft or the 4 spd dual range fits like a glove without much of anything but some trim pieces inside the car and an extra bracket underneith.

you are correct sir. it is driver side top. when you say i'll need another driveshaft, is it the 5 speed d/r driveshaft, or another/custom one? also, would the extra bracket also be from said 5 speed d/r, or also other/custom one needed?

also, what year(s) would the parts need to come from?

if you're talking about using a 5-speed D/R EA82 tranny, some custom work will need to be done. but if you're using a 4-speed EA81 D/R....it's quite easy.

thats good to know. i'd like to go the easier way for sure, just cuz i'm impatient. what year(s) would the d/r/ need to come out of, same as my car?

thats good to know. i'd like to go the easier way for sure, just cuz i'm impatient. what year(s) would the d/r/ need to come out of, same as my car?

if it's a 4-speed D/R. it'll swap in very easily. just make sure to get a driveshaft from the same body style, as others had different lengths.

the difficult swap is the 5-speed D/R from an EA82. those where '85+ except hatches and brats.

just get a good look at how all the linkage all works, than go to the junkyard, and pull anything connected to the tranny that you don't have.

if it's a 4-speed D/R. it'll swap in very easily. just make sure to get a driveshaft from the same body style, as others had different lengths.

the difficult swap is the 5-speed D/R from an EA82. those where '85+ except hatches and brats.

just get a good look at how all the linkage all works, than go to the junkyard, and pull anything connected to the tranny that you don't have.

thanks for your info, it will surely help me in the next few days.