Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help in whatcom/skagit county

I've got an 87 gl 4wd wagon that I'm replacing the front pass. side half shaft in. I was wondering if there is any suby people in whatcom or skagit county WA that has the required press to remove the shaft from the bering and press the new one in. I've got the half shaft removed from the car and can bring to your location. I have a few ea82 parts I would be willing to trade for this service (alt., dist, starter, ps. pump)

thanks.

I am not close enough to offer physical help, but...

Replacing the half-shaft does not require a press or anything more than somewhat normal hand tools. the CV stub is a tight slide fit into the bearings, not an interference- or press-it.

You carefully tap out the old axle, typically by using a soft-faced dead-bolw hammer or a hammer and block of wood against the axle nut end. With a little ingenuity, you can pull the stub axle back through using the nut, washers, and maybe a large crescent wrench or wo (used as spacers/pry bars). Others have their own special ways, but all will tell you know press is needed.

The one thing to watch for is that there is a free-floating steel spacer collar between the inner and outer bearings that needs to be positioned "just so" for the stub to be pulled back in. That, and getting the dished washer in the right direction and tightening the axlenut to at least 140ft-lbs.

did i offend you somehow?

I think, based on rest of post, just a less-than-thought-out choice of words. That is how I would try to take it. :)

On Topic: Procedure is pretty much the same as your '83. The spindle can be a little stubborn. Just be careful and don't FUBAR the spindle threads. :)