Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help on suspension work...

GL-10 Turbo

I've scoured the forum for some sort of answer on this, and I'm on a time schedule, so help would be appreciated.

I have a '92 Legacy that a shop is working on, and they want to convert the air suspension to a standard suspension. I've got the struts (new), and obviously need the tophats and springs. What else is there to this conversion? The service writer at that shop says he talked to someone who told him that you need new control arms, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Can someone please help with more information? The only thing I found in the Retrofitting was a link to a pictoral, with no real descriptions.

Thanks.

My brother and I went through this very thing on his '84 GL-10. Then he blew the motor and scrapped the car, but that's a different story...

OK, here's what I know:

The change over is very straight forward. Just take off the air-struts. Replace with standard units and springs. Done.

-OR-

Use a coil-over conversion kit on the normal struts (not air). This method gives adjustability and is really inexpensive. Do a search on ebay and you'll see kits for various cars. It is just a sleeve that slips over the strut (where the standard spring goes), clamps into place, and gives an adjustable base for a coil spring to perch. I suppose you could use these on the air struts, also. I think they're around $350 from Ground Control. Check out what the off-road boys from Australia are doing...

On my bro's car we took off all the air related systems (compressor, etc.) and saved about 20-ish pounds, I think.

I found lots of info on USMB in the XT stuff. Others have definitely done this and posted...

Good luck!

just to conferm it is a legacy or a loyal?

your name may make one think it would be a loyal but you said legacy. if so i didnt know that tht legacy had air ride.

if it is a loyal i think i could come up with some springs and top hats front and rear for you. say $75 shipped to cali. if thats what you need.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

your name may make one think it would be a loyal but you said legacy. if so i didnt know that tht legacy had air ride.

if it is a loyal i think i could come up with some springs and top hats front and rear for you. say $75 shipped to cali. if thats what you need.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

Unfortunately, some of the early Legacies did have air ride.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

I need everything above the strut. Tophats, springs, rubber cushions, topnuts, and the three nuts to hold the tophats in. I'll take it, send me a paypal addy, and I'll send you payment tonight.

If the bolts are different (knuckle), please include them. I'll pay a bit more for a complete package of every little thing. This is for a 1992 Legacy wagon (checked by VIN).

Thanks,

Gregory