Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Rod Bearings, Where to Buy?

The Rod bearings on an EA-82T are wider than those used in the non-turbo models. Every online parts place lists the same part number for turbo vs. non. Also, the newer parts catalogs list the same bearings for every motor, and the that part number is the narrower non-turbo bearing. The dealer wants $240 for a new set, and that is just highway robbery. So, does anybosy know where I can get aftermarket bearings of the same size? Does anybody know a manufacturer and part number for the correct bearing?

Thanks,

Keith

You can use the non-turbo bearings, or you can suck it up and buy them from the dealer. Try http://www.1stsubaruparts.com, about $180 for the turbo rod bearings, if I remember right.

OR if you can can find a supplier of NDC bearings I can give you the actual NDC part #. (NDC is the supplier for Subaru)

Good luck. I could not find an aftermarket source for turbo rod bearings.

Well, I did a bunch of diging on my own and found a Federal Mogul Sealed power part number and confimed with an engine builder I know that this part number is in fact wider than the standard part number listed. We were able to confirm this through a parts book from 1997.

The part to order is a federal mogul 41065cp and can even be ordered from http://www.partsamerica.com

Using a narrower rod bearing on a turbo motor is not a good Idea. Especially with a turbo where detonation and high rod bearing forces are more readily happening. I'm not sure what I would have done if I was not able to find the correct bearing.

Keith

I did some digging around myself and found this. Took about 10 minutes, searching for "NDC engine bearings". NDC makes them for Subaru.

http://www.power-auto-parts.com

This is one of the better parts links that I have come across. Go there and search for your year, make, and model. They list a different part number for turbo and non- turbo bearings. Good price for EXACTLY the same thing you will get from the dealer.

Good Find! Thanks for the extra info. They ordered in the Federal Mogal bearings that I listed above and they arrived yesterday. Opened up the box and they are the right thing. Now for the intersting part. I paid $53 for the original and thinner non-turbo bearing set. These came in and only cost me $30. So, what looked like it was going to be a very expensive problem has turned out to be a cheaper problem!

Thanks

Keith

Indeed, nothing wrong with Federal Mogul.

For what it's worth, I would recommend that anyone replacing their bearings use the turbo version of the rod bearing. They are better, and like Keith pointed out, cheaper too. I am fairly certain that the rod bearings are the same for ea81 and ea82 1800cc engines.