Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick question about EA fuel pump for EJ swap

Phizinza

I got a EA82 N/A MPFI fuel pump will this work with my EJ22?

Also, it has a big inlet pipe, I don't think my EA81 has a pipe that big going from the fuel tank to the pump, can I just adapt to pumps pipe to a smaller one?

Thanks,

Im pretty sure the fuel inlet sizes match and the pump should work fine.

Does it supply enough fuel for the ej22 ? Personally I'm a big fan of using the Holden VL Turbo pumps ( can't remember model number ) from Bosch.

I use the standard MY fuel pump ( the stronger of the ones that sit under the body, the the ones that sit in the engine ) running through a std inline filter to the Bosch pump through a large EFI filter ( VF08 i think ) into the engine. works great.

Although I guess if the ea82 EFI pump works then you probably don't need the extra pump etc.

I was looking at getting a new fuel pump, but for $400 it was a little too much for my conversion.

I was told by the AUSubaru guys that I should budget at least $4000 for the conversion. So far I have the EJ22 with all the wiring and ecu. It needs new timing belts though. And a fuel pump. So far I'm at $727.50 (wrecked lib for $700, fuel pump for 27.50.) Do you think I can make it under the recommened budget? :lol:

Next on my list will be adaptor plate, should cost me about $80 in materials. Then I might need a new radiator fan or two to go on the Liberty radiator. Dunno what that will cost..

I've also got a AWD dual range gearbox now that needs some new bearings. Got plans for that one. :)

Stinky, what have you done about the standard MY fuel lines? I've been told that the vent line needs to be bigger. Have you still got stock, or do you use extra lines?

The SPFI pump will keep up if it is in good shape. I made it out to wyoming (2.4k miles) on one that was growling. It would run out of juice when passing someone, but if you punched in the clutch for a moment, the pressure would build and you could complete the pass.

I'm now using an inline pump out of a ford F150. I needed to make up an adapter to fit from the big line coming out of the tank to the small line going into the pump, but it works awesome.

I was told to use a gl-10 fuel pump. Is the same pump used in the gl the same as a gl-10?

I don't know, I've heard that it is (well, turbo vs. non-turbo, most GL-10s are turbo). but the one in my loyale would be the same as a regular GL, and it's working fine for my N/A EJ22. more fuel pressure might not be a bad idea for a turbo EJ motor, however...

I'm doing a swap into an ea81 and I know that my stock pump wouldn't work from that. I was told to get a turbo gl-10 pump, and so I went to my local junkyard and picked one up for $10. (I too am on a budget)

I don't know, I've heard that it is (well, turbo vs. non-turbo, most GL-10s are turbo). but the one in my loyale would be the same as a regular GL, and it's working fine for my N/A EJ22. more fuel pressure might not be a bad idea for a turbo EJ motor, however...