Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Weber Carb problems

okayy... well, the cables are intact at the carb linkage? are they intact at the pedal end? is it possible that there is a break somewhere? can you force the throttle closed at the carb, only to have it bounce back open?

How well do you know your return springs and their proper placement? any chance this is as simple as a spring not being where it should be?

Have you visually confirmed that the butterfly is open? (i cant imagine that any other situation would result in a high rev, but hey..)

I am stabbing in the dark trying to help you cuz youre getting no other answers.. in my experience the only thing thats done that with a carburetor is a missing, broken, improperly placed, or othewise fouled up return spring. if you can find some sort of spring that will return the throttle to the closed position (AND if the throttle isnt physically stuck or otherwise prevented from closing) you can at least get the car home, by my thoughts.

I just bought the brat today. I went over a speed bump pulling into a friend's apartment complex and it started revving uncontrolably. The brat came with the weber carb. Me and my dad tinkered with it tonight while its still at his house. He thinks some trash might have fallen down into the float or butterfly valve causing it to get stuck. The throttle/pedal setup is good and intact. Next chance we get, we are going to take the thing off and spray the snot out of it with carb cleaner in hopes that it gets fixed. I took a look down into it and it looked as if one butterfly valve was open and the other one was closed. I would start the brat and he would hold his hand over the carb in attempts that the vacum would pull the garbage through the carb and free up the obstructed area. We even tapped on the side of the carb thinking the needle valve might have something stuck in it but didn't have much luck in that aspect either. I am completely open to any hypothesis about this whole situation. Dearon and GD you have both helped me greatly before. Have any of you ever experienced the same thing?

Which one is open? If it's the rear throttle, that's the secondary, and is operated with a cam setup from the front plate. It could be that the secondary plate's linkage hopped out of it's track and is jammed in the open posistion. You need to take the linkage apart and verify that it's even put together correctly. They have a number of little washers, and linkage bits - if all of those aren't installed in the right order or the right direction, it can cause the linkage to jam, or be too loose and have things not work correctly.

As for something stuck *in* the throttle plate - if it's big enough to block the plate open, it's definately the LAST thing you want falling into the engine. If that's the kind of help your dad gives, tell him to go back to his easy-chair..... My pop's helped me to break a windsheild last time I asked for his help - told him to press gently, and he whacks it like a lumberjack :rolleyes:. He sticks to wood-working, and I handle the metal stuff.

GD

He sticks to wood-working, and I handle the metal stuff.

GD

I take it Mom is there to handle the fine china, lenox crystalware, and glass?:lol:

but back on topic, it sounds like it HAS to be a sheer physical obstruction. a word of advice: buy a book on weber carburetors. Read it as if it were the friggin berenstein bears, read it like you want to read it and you will NEVER have a problem with the carb again. they are nice, simple machines, that always want attention to run *perfect* but will almost always run acceptably if properly tuned... I dont know beans, first-hand.. all my carb work has been done on other peoples cars, which is to say, i "helped" ("Go get me a beer shawn!!" :drunk: ) but i mean, its all there in one handy, toilet-reservoir apparatus!!

come to think of it, why cant we just call them crapuretors??? i mean, no offense, im not knocking carbs by ANY means.. but seriously.. john crapper, inventor of the toilet, right? same principle? Crapuretor!

ANYHOW sorry, i need sleep apparently. GD knows much more about the downdraft weber than I ever will (unless i get an old dastun pickup) as ALL of my carb knowledge is from sidedraft land.... not Downdraft Hill. I just figured if i opened my mouth wide enough, someone might come along and really help you by making ME shove my foot in! :grin:

good luck, and think twice about that book.. im pretty sure Haynes makes a techbook on downdraft webers.... worth the investment for something thats feeding fuel into your car.

Kinda close actually - she's an antique dealer. My old man refinishes furniture now that he's retired.

GD

thats crazy, i was just making a joke as you didnt call dibs on the glass yourself, just the "metal stuff"

and i would LOVE to do the same in my retirement. nothing like old wood. and im NOT making a joke there, i like old wood furniture..the newest piece of furniture in my room is my desk which was given to my for christmas of... 87? 88 maybe?

One time I tried to by pass the vacumm canister on the passenger side firewall for the heater control and for some reason that caused a WOT type rev that shot the tack up to five grand . When i plugged that line back into that ball type canister it was back down to normal. Maybe when you hit that speedbump it craked or knocked off that line!

FIXED!!!! A spring had came off and when I gave it gas going over the speed bump. It managed to go back too far and jam the secondary jet open. My father and I fixed it tonight and got it running again, we stopped by the AutoZone and got a new replacement spring for it and attaced it to close to the transmission. I had been away for a few days and the hypothesis you fine people gave me was equivelent to what the problem was. :clap::clap::clap::headbang: