Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Stant Superstat Thermostat

Hey all, this post is for those of you, like myself, that have to deal with completely proprietary auto parts stores such as Advance Auto. They cannot quickly (or accurately) convert part #'s into bin #'s or sku's :confused: . SO... the Stant part # for the 180 degree F Superstat thermostat is 45858, but if they are compelled to look up parts by year and model and it doesn't show up under your EA82 Subaru it is also the thermostat for the 1987 Nissan Pulsar SE. Just an FYI for those who care... DW

Any thermostat for a small block chevy will work - same size, and you can get them in any temp you could want. I like a 180 or 190, but some people prefer the 170 in turbo's and such.

GD

Wow, that's bizarre. I wonder if it's coincidence, or if the super-human 80's Subaru engineers planned that?:rolleyes:

Good point about the drilling, Subiemech. I've done that in the past too. Just drill a small hole, and the air will get through no problem, but it won't allow so much coolant as to over-cool the engine.

Yeah - a small hole solves that problem, and is a minor inconvience for someone looking for a special temp other than stock.

Turns out that 54mm is almost exactly 2 1/8" (2.125"), which is the size of the GM stuff.

GD

That's good to know. 2.125" is close enough to 2.125984" (54mm) for me. :brow:

the problem with a "GM" type thermostat is that it does NOT have the jiggle pin, which is an absolute must have

if in a pinch, you can drill a 1/8" hole

Why is the "jiggle pin" a must have? I've used 160E unmodified GM thermostats in the summer for the last 15 years without any ill effects. The reason I change to the lower temp in the summer is it eliminates the hot soak carb problems.