Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stuck heater button 95 legacy

A month into owning the new car, and the only problem left is the control module is stuck in the dash position. I've tried pushing the other buttons, which light up but don't change, and the dash button doesn't pop back out. Is there a simple solution for this, like drilling a small hole in the button and "helping" it back out, or should I just plan on changing the module--I've already found the link for that searching the forum. Thanks.

You might try elc. spray cleaner from Radio Shack, just make sure you get the one that says safe to use on plactic. My buttons got sticky from drinks spilling on them and this worked on mine, but yours may be just broke.

A month into owning the new car, and the only problem left is the control module is stuck in the dash position. I've tried pushing the other buttons, which light up but don't change, and the dash button doesn't pop back out. Is there a simple solution for this, like drilling a small hole in the button and "helping" it back out, or should I just plan on changing the module--I've already found the link for that searching the forum. Thanks.

Distant memory of my 90 Loyale was that the buttons were vacuum related. On the 90 Loyale I had somehow disconnected a small diameter (same as windshield washer hose size) vacuum hose in the engine compartment on the passenger side just in front of the windshield.

I can't remember if this stopped the buttons from working as you described or if the operation of the unit become non-functional until I reconnected the hose.

I would try using a small flat bladed screwdriver and see if you can pry along the side of the button to pop it back out. Once it is out you may try and see if you can use a light oil on the latching area to see if that helps free the movement up.

I doused the buttons such as I could with contact cleaner--now they punch up like they should, but the air's still coming out the dash outlets. I can imagine the previous owners being careless with the cupholders (there were paint stains on the seats--fortunately latex). If I need to, I can get another module locally, was hoping for an easier fix, though. Any other ideas?

Did you take the module out to clean it, check wiring harness, caress, cajole, plead, wiggle, tap it gently with the heel of your shoe? You can always get a replacement but... is there a board member that could help with checking the harness i.e. jump it and make sure that it's not other than a bad switch module?? Cougar? Chief Tim? Nipper? Car 54 where are you?

I doused the buttons such as I could with contact cleaner--now they punch up like they should, but the air's still coming out the dash outlets. I can imagine the previous owners being careless with the cupholders (there were paint stains on the seats--fortunately latex). If I need to, I can get another module locally, was hoping for an easier fix, though. Any other ideas?

Distant memory of my 90 Loyale was that the buttons were vacuum related. On the 90 Loyale I had somehow disconnected a small diameter (same as windshield washer hose size) vacuum hose in the engine compartment on the passenger side just in front of the windshield.

I can't remember if this stopped the buttons from working as you described or if the operation of the unit become non-functional until I reconnected the hose.

The legacy is not vac operated.

Honestly thats a really easy fix (getting a different one). While you are doing it get 3 new climate control bulbs from the dealer and put them in so you won't be back taking this apart soon.

Under the dash, in the middle, there's a housing with a lever on the outside. These things have a tendency of getting stuck and causing your problem.

Wish I could be more specific, but I've never had the problem so I can't be exact, but your problem resembles that.