Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Working On The 86' Again (help!!)

ok so the over the road thing didnt work out like i wanted it to but ohh well right

any ways i got the head-gaskets put on (pain in the but doing it by my self with the motor still in the car sort-of). and the car tried to start but didnt at first. so i helped it out with the starting fluid (didnt help). finaly i get it to start but this thing has no power! i have to keep the peddle on the floor and about 5 mins later it might see 4,000RPM

has any one seen or heard this before ?

to the neaked eye the heads good great the gasket was still all thier but the watter was seeping in the oil, walls felt great just a little ridge like brand new almost feeling.

i do not have an compression tester! is thier any one of you over here that has one?????

could i have killed the rings maby????? and or do you think that the gas went bad, it only sat for 5 maby 6 months but i drove it 2 months ago the day the gasket went due to not looking at the water level before driving in 115deg. weather

it went 30 miles the first 25 miles where great the last 5miles took along time since i didnt want to KILL the poor thing

not sure what this week will become of me but if any of you got any time and just want to come over and laugh at my mistake go ahead and send me a PM to see what days we can get together

RYRY

'86... EA82? If EA81, ignore me.

Are you sure you have the cam timing set properly?

With the middle of the three scribe marks on the flywheel lined up with the arrow, one index mark should be pointing straight up, one should be pointing straight down.

It's possible that you have both pointing the same direction, which would make the engine run on 2 cylinders, which would definitely explain the hard starting & complete lack of power. Does it sound like a lawnmower when it's running?

-=Russ=-

That's a different beast entirely.

What's your fuel system?

Being it's an EA81, then your problem is either the head gaskets you just did, or it's fuel related. My first check would be compression. Harbor Frieght has guages for $10. Should probably test out around 150 - 200 on each cylinder depending on valve seat condition.

If the comp. checks out, then it's fuel related... but I need to know your chosen poision before I comment on what exactly it might be.

GD

That's a different beast entirely.

What's your fuel system?

Being it's an EA81, then your problem is either the head gaskets you just did, or it's fuel related. My first check would be compression. Harbor Frieght has guages for $10. Should probably test out around 150 - 200 on each cylinder depending on valve seat condition.

If the comp. checks out, then it's fuel related... but I need to know your chosen poision before I comment on what exactly it might be.

GD

well if they are only $10 then i could pull that out of some where

think mabe one of the push-rods isnt sitting in the lifter right????

yeah when i did the heads i pulled the motor out of the tranny flipped it on the side did the pass then the driver side i noticed on the driver side that they didnt line up right so i reset them

after it i sild it back in to the tranny i had to turn it to line up the input shaft

where i noticed it wasnt rolling smoth so i poped the pass side of layed under the car and did my best to realine them

after that it rolled over fine but ..................

im just stumped if i dont work tommorow i'll try and get that tester and post the results

i got a mazda truck that also needs a head gasket so i might be working on that instead tomorrow :)

thanks for the input guys

ryry

ps how would a hair-line crack react or would that be something that would pop up after it was warm

pss if i cant get this to work any one want a CHEAP car LOL

(i realy want a 4WDwagon EA81 style)