Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Voltage drain? Help me make it stop?!

Subarutex

On my EJ22 converted wagon, I have some sort of voltage drain. With the key off, and out, my volt guage still registers slightly above the lower line.

While running, with no acc. on, i'm not seeing a full 14v, really just a hair above 12v.

And now, for the 3rd day in a row, the car is dead. To the point nothing will turn on, or my automatic locks working.

How do I troubleshoot something like this? Where do I start? I'm pretty certain its swap related... Yargh.

Is your charge light coming on with the key to ign on? If not it won't charge.

To fix it if its not lighting up:

Find the T-Plug that was for your ea82 alternator. On those alternators one prong is S and one is L. The L terminal needs to plug into the wire on your harness I tagged alternator light. Or you can install an XT6 alternator and just use all but one groove on the xt6 alt pulley and all the plugs are a direct plug in. On my ea81 my volt gauge reads 12ish but its really putting out 14.8 so i still need to fix the dash gauge but the chg light works. (Im running legacy alt).

Is your charge light coming on with the key to ign on? If not it won't charge.

To fix it if its not lighting up:

Find the T-Plug that was for your ea82 alternator. On those alternators one prong is S and one is L. The L terminal needs to plug into the wire on your harness I tagged alternator light. Or you can install an XT6 alternator and just use all but one groove on the xt6 alt pulley and all the plugs are a direct plug in. On my ea81 my volt gauge reads 12ish but its really putting out 14.8 so i still need to fix the dash gauge but the chg light works. (Im running legacy alt).

What is the wire color for the alternator light, and where does it come from?

Its black with white tracer and is coming from the alternator plug on the legacy which is round with 4-5 wires on it. Near it would be a yellow wire which runs to Ign On, and then a battery lead that probably loops over to the big terminal on the alternator with the nut.

Currently this wire is connected to the EJ harness... should I "T" off it to the EA alt. plug? or disconnect it from the EJ harness?

I wish it wasn't so damn cold out, and I wish I had a garage to put this in.

Yeah Id try t-ing off to the ea harness.