Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to sub's motor swaps

Ok heres the deal. I ended up buying 4 subaru wagons. Two turbo cars with bad motors and two totaled car with good motors. I pulled one of the turbo motors this weekend to put it the non turbo motors, the problem I then ran into is the turbo cars are MPFI and the nons are SPFI, DOH. So my question is can I swap the computer and engine harness???? Is it a plug and play??? Or is there anything else in the harnes I need to swap?? Thanks for info

In order to swap the non-turbo engines into the turbo ones you will have to swap the heads off of the turbo engines and meke the new ones MPFI. Then you can drop them in and exchange the hrnesses. The rest will be easy. Sorry for the bad news, but the job is more work than just swapping the engines over.

In order to swap the non-turbo engines into the turbo ones you will have to swap the heads off of the turbo engines and meke the new ones MPFI. Then you can drop them in and exchange the hrnesses. The rest will be easy. Sorry for the bad news, but the job is more work than just swapping the engines over.

yep, you could do it that way.

or if you swap the harness and ECU. it'll work, and should be almost completely plug and play.

by harness, I do mean everything between ECU and engine, not just the small harness in the engine bay. you'll need to pull the drivers side fender.

EDIT: WOA!!! I just notice, if those in fact, are yours. the green one pictured in the ad is a Touring wagon (raised roof), and VERY rare here in the US. If there's any chance of saving it, do it.

yep, you could do it that way.

or if you swap the harness and ECU. it'll work, and should be almost completely plug and play.

by harness, I do mean everything between ECU and engine, not just the small harness in the engine bay. you'll need to pull the drivers side fender.

EDIT: WOA!!! I just notice, if those in fact, are yours. the green one pictured in the ad is a Touring wagon (raised roof), and VERY rare here in the US. If there's any chance of saving it, do it.

Yes those are mine. I figure if I can sell them I won't have to work on them:brow: but if not I will do the motor swap. You guy's want them???:brow:

Out here they aren't all that rare - I did a clutch on one not long ago for an old dude.

But they were only made for 89 and 90, so comparitivly rare. I do see them often enough tho.

You aren't far from me - if you need help with the swap..... I've done a couple SPFI swaps so I know my way around their harnesses pretty well. With that many cars/parts I bet we could both win on a swap/labor deal.... :brow:

GD