Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Legacy Turbo Retrofit

pilip

yep, just about anything you can dream of is possible. Mechanically, everything will fit very easily.

you'll want an engine crossmember from a turbo car, as it has a notch in it for the up-pipe. but a custom up-pipe can be made to go behind the crossmember and CV shaft.

you'll need to completely replace the engine wiring. everything in between the engine and the ECU has to match. but, you could get an EJ22t ('90-'94 legacy turbo engine), harness, and ECU, or ditto from an STi, WRX, newer turbo legacy/baja, or Forester XT.

you could just slap a factory WRX turbo (TD04), intercooler, and exhaust on your motor. the OBDII ECU can easily make up for the extra air. there's a local guy who's been running that into a stock EJ22 for almost a year now, with no problems, and when he scans the computer, it says the injectors are only running at 93%. HOWEVER, I would not recommend doing this to an EJ25 (what you have), even if it is SOHC (which yours probably is...).

but in all reality, the best thing you can do for performance, is loose the slushbox. the drivetrail loss in an AWD auto tranny is amazing!! swap it for a 5-speed, and the power will be transferred to the road much more effeciently!

the sky's pretty much the limit with these cars....Subarus = Legos!!

Thanks for the information. Why wouldn't you put a factory turbo from a WRX on my EJ25? Is this motor not capable of handling it?

yea, I just meant that comparing what my buddy's doing on his EJ22 is not necessarily a great example. since the EJ22 is bullet-proof, and the 25 is....well....not.

he's getting away with 7-9psi quite well. I wouldn't put the EJ25 through more than 5.

the DOHC ones have a big problem with head gaskets (I wouldn't think of boosting one of those), and the SOHC ones are better, but the problem isn't gone.

You can't just put a WRX turbo on the EJ25 because the exhaust manifold is different, you'll need one from the WRX. Then the engine crossmember is different as well. The WRX exhaust will hit the non-turbo crossmember. That said, there are a few companies that make special up and down pipes that will mate up to the stock non turbo EJ25 manifold and allow you to run that WRX turbo and a WRX turbo back exhaust.

There are 1 or 2 tuners who have or are working on engine management solutions to the 01 ECUs that you might be able to take advantage of without the extreme undertaking of rewiring the car for a WRX or Legacy turbo ECU. Otherwise, piggyback control of fuel and spark retard are easy and fairly reliable at sane boost levels.

There's alot of good info over at nasioc.com in the "conversions" and especially "aftermarket forced induction" forums.

Good luck!

Jay Storm