Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Hatch Light/Sensor On!

Hi, I have a 99 Outback Wagon. The rear hatch indicator light on the dash indicates the door is open when I know its closed. I have tried adjusting and shimming the rear hatch strike and latch with no success banghead.gif . If I push on the rear hatch from the outside I can see the light go out but when I let up it comes back on. Is there some adjustment I am missing? Any help? Thanks

I hate that problem, this happens on both my '96 and sometimes '00 too. I saw a post on here somewhere about fixing it. On mine if it happens I just slam the hatch really hard and that makes the light go out so I haven't really been motivated to try to fix it.

Does your hatch latch stick? It does on both my Sub's. Like you squeeze the handle to pop the hatch, but the handle doesn't return to it's original position, it stays squeezed in unless you manually push it back. And that hatch won't latch if the handle is squeezed in. I fixed that pretty well by spraying the heck out of the mechanisms with Penephite and Lubricone.

Thanks Porkupine, I've tried the hard slam, sometimes works til I close my drivers door and it pops the hatch far enough open to turn on the light. Dosen't bother me really but complicates locking doors (no audible on remote lock). Also I couldn't reprogram my remotes because the computer thought the door was open.... Any other help out there?

Thanks Porkupine, I've tried the hard slam, sometimes works til I close my drivers door and it pops the hatch far enough open to turn on the light. Dosen't bother me really but complicates locking doors (no audible on remote lock). Also I couldn't reprogram my remotes because the computer thought the door was open.... Any other help out there?

i don't think the hatch sensor is a button like the doors, but i'm not sure. whatever it is, find it and jump/short it out. then the light won't even come on when it is open.