Ultimate Subaru Message Board

175 or 18\13 tires for subaru loyale?

Just bigger in diameter. 185's were stock for the 4WD GL's, and 175's were stock for all 2WD's and 4WD DL's.

The 185's will give you higher ground clearance. It all depends on what you are driving in. For snow, I actually like a studded 165/80r13 as it's the same diamter as the 185/70, but it's a pizza cutter thin tire, and with studs they dig down and grip easier. For generall off-road the 185 is probably better.

GD

In general shorter sidewall will be better handling on the street so the 175s would be you're better bet. Can go with 185s or 195s with a shorter sidewall as well. For road use and price you can't beat the Sumitomos. I have Srixons on my XT6 and after 15k still love em. Not the best in snow or rain but overall a great tire for the price. I think I paid $55 a piece installed for 205/50r14s

the first number 185 or 175 or 205 is width in mm, the second number is ratio of tread width to sidewall, third number is rim diameter in inches. So... 175/70-R13

is a 175 mm tread width with (175 x .70) 122 mm sidewall which fits a 13" rim. A 205/50 R 15 is a 205 mm tread width, with a 102 mm sidewall, that fits a 15 inch rim.

DasWaff

I've had both on my Loyale, and for street driving, prefer the wider (185) tires.

The car tracks better, so less tiring on long trips, and should stop faster, although I've never tested it.

Honestly I didn't like anything more than 175s until I went to the 195s I had. The 185s all tend to be crappy (i.e. cheap) tires for the most part

USA-specification turbo-wagons came stock with 185/70-13. I prefer the wider tire (Michelin or Bridgestone on mine). The wider tire can give better cornering traction. The wider tires fit just fine with no concerns about body interference.

I suspect that our friend in Israel does not have to contend with much snow, and mud may be a little uncommon, too. ;)