Ultimate Subaru Message Board

US vs. Canada Parts Pricing....

I called my local Subaru dealership and inquired about the price of the Duty B and C solenoids in my transmission. They told me that they are $250 each and they will have to order them. I thought that was a little steep for a couple of small parts. Has anyone purchased these in the US and, if so, what kind of money did you pay for them?

The reason I ask is because I recently needed a small part on another vehicle I own and found quite the descrepancy between US and Canadian prices. There is a small temp sensor on the exterior of my transmission on the 2002 Honda Odyssey I own and it needs to be replaced (unscrew, remove, screw in new one). I called my local Honda dealer and they told me it would be $130 plus taxes and it was order only (the damned vehicle is only a few years old!) I play BF2 online with guy in the US who works for the parts department of a Honda dealership and he is shipping me the same part for $40 including the shipping, what a difference!!

there are some members of this board that work at subaru dealerships and have posted their contact information. i've used them before, i'd do a search and find their information. there's also online subaru parts suppliers, they've been posted numerous times on here before and have excellent prices. 1stsubaruparts.com might be one, i can't remember off the top of my head. check out the search button, you'll find them. another girls name is Jamie, she's a part department employee i believe on here.

When I was replacing all my struts a few years ago on my 97 OB, I found that most of the components were similar in price between Canada and the US with the exception of the strut itself. It was almost double in Canada! However, our dollar was at ~ 70 cents at the time.

With our dollar now at 90 cents, the US parts price is even better. It does depend on the part though. There doesn't seem to be any particular rhyme or reason to it that I can see. I recently thought I was in need of camshaft position sensor. Dealer here told me around $160 or $175 list (I don't recall exactly). I can typically get 15% off, which saves the taxes here in Ont. Online in the US... $46. Add shipping, say $10 (probably high). Add 30% for taxes and customs brokerage (if you can't avoid it). (There may be some minimum customs charge on a small order like this that could push it up, I'm not sure. UPS is one of the highest for these charges from what I've seen / heard.) Add exchange rate. Comes out to roughly $70 Canadian. Half the price or less!

It doesn't hurt to shop, if you've got the time to wait for the parts.

Commuter

I called my local Subaru dealership and inquired about the price of the Duty B and C solenoids in my transmission. They told me that they are $250 each and they will have to order them. I thought that was a little steep for a couple of small parts. Has anyone purchased these in the US and, if so, what kind of money did you pay for them?

The reason I ask is because I recently needed a small part on another vehicle I own and found quite the descrepancy between US and Canadian prices. There is a small temp sensor on the exterior of my transmission on the 2002 Honda Odyssey I own and it needs to be replaced (unscrew, remove, screw in new one). I called my local Honda dealer and they told me it would be $130 plus taxes and it was order only (the damned vehicle is only a few years old!) I play BF2 online with guy in the US who works for the parts department of a Honda dealership and he is shipping me the same part for $40 including the shipping, what a difference!!

Hey Kilroy,i also live in Edmonton AB.i own a 77 BRAT and am putting a 2.7l in it from an xt6 with a 5spd d/r:headbang: .we could get together some time if you like and see what we know together,i live in the west end of the city.Send me a pm if you want to get together some time and i can send you my #

1mabrat

Dale

there are some members of this board that work at subaru dealerships and have posted their contact information. i've used them before, i'd do a search and find their information. there's also online subaru parts suppliers, they've been posted numerous times on here before and have excellent prices. 1stsubaruparts.com might be one, i can't remember off the top of my head. check out the search button, you'll find them. another girls name is Jamie, she's a part department employee i believe on here.

I've tried 1stsubaruparts.com as well as a few other online parts catalog sites, but haven't found the solenoids on any of them. Any chance someone in the US could call a Subaru dealership in the US and inquire for me? :)