Ultimate Subaru Message Board

H6 and5spd dr on ea71 sub frame

1maBrat

Here is what I'm doing with my '77 Brat and my old XT6 which wouldnt pass inspection. Have taken the H6 and mated it to an '88 Loyale, 5 spd d/r, with a 3.90 gear ratio. :banana: Have got the rails cut and engine and tranny fit well. :headbang: Just need to figure out all the electrical. If anyone can help with info on splicing the two harnesses all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

1maBrat

Dale

:banana:http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13333&cat=728

• 3 weeks later...
Nice.

It might be easier to let the BRAT harness power the starters lights and all of the other stuff and have the XT-6 harness power the engine.

That is the route I am going with my EJ BRAT.

have fun.

BW

Thats my plan but im not sure how to get power to the ecu and where to take it from.The ecu plugs into the back of the engine with only 2 big plugs,one white and one black, i have the diagrams for the xt6 but not sure of how to get the power to those plugs.Whe n i took the car apart i just unpluged everything,and now have a HUGE pile of wire.thats all i know about electricity.

Any help would be greatly appreatiated.

Thanks

1mabrat

Dale

:confused:

Is that a ea71 GL? Your so lucky! I want one. Will be cool having more H6 mods done here.

The wiring can be hard to figure out. Basiclly it should be similar to a EJ harness. Which you need the main relay (the one that the igntion switch switches) the fuel relay all the wires form these relays to the ECU. All the wires from engine to ECU (might not need all of them, but easier to just take them all) There might be a few other things, there may not. The ECU will need a constant power, a igntion power, and a earth. All the sensors and engine things should be powered through the ECU.

Don't trust what I say though, I haven't even tested my EJ loom yet, haha! That will come soon!

Keep us updated :)

Phizinza's got the right idea. you're power will come via the Main Relay. which is, most likely, brown and has 6 wires. 2 wires coming from the battery (you can splice that in yourself, just run a wire with an inline fuse right from the battery), 2 wires the power the harness, one coming from the ingition switch, and one ground.

you'll also need the fuel pump relay, which (IIRC, I know this is the case with the EJ's.....but not so much on an ER27) has 4 wires, 2 should tap into that wire from the battery, one go to the pump itself (I couldn't find the wire in the harness...so I just strung one of my own), and a ground wire that goes to the ECU. if that relay has power, and the ECU has power and grounds correctly, you should be able to feel/hear the fuel pump relay switch on momentarily when you turn the ignition on.

Is that a ea71 GL? Your so lucky! I want one. Will be cool having more H6 mods done here.

The wiring can be hard to figure out. Basiclly it should be similar to a EJ harness. Which you need the main relay (the one that the igntion switch switches) the fuel relay all the wires form these relays to the ECU. All the wires from engine to ECU (might not need all of them, but easier to just take them all) There might be a few other things, there may not. The ECU will need a constant power, a igntion power, and a earth. All the sensors and engine things should be powered through the ECU.

Don't trust what I say though, I haven't even tested my EJ loom yet, haha! That will come soon!

Keep us updated :)

Yes sireee she's an ea71, 11/77 Brat, check out the pics in my album to see some of the work on her as yet.

thanks for your comments on the wiring, much appreciated.

1mabrat

Dale:cool:

you might check out subarubrat.com. I know his is an ea81 brat but he might be able to help you with your wiring.

:headbang: great idea I will check out the site, checked with the General and also posted on board, and am getting good help from you all and learning piles from the board usage. I read it a couple times a day and love the things that people are doing to Sube's " the most incredible machine on the planet"

Thanks for all the advice and help to now

1maBrat, Dale

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...