Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Utah Users Unite!

Who on the board is from Utah? or nearby? or used to be? I have only seen ONE highly modified off-road Subaru here.:banana: yet there are three new Soobs at every intersection.

Did we all rust? or Do we just not care? We must get to the bottom of this:moon:

If Urine Utah chime in :dead:

Glenn,

82 Hatch, ....well it used to be........:temper:

01 Forester,..........still is............:burnout:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My sister (Caboob's Pink Martini) lives in Spanish Fork, but she doesn't have a Roo (yet), I know there is one guy in Salt Lake, forget his name, but I was gonna sell him a tranny a while ago until his parents backed out wiht the money, and there is another guy who lives down around Bryce Canyon.

• 4 weeks later...

We're all loosers here!

No one cares about old Subies, I'm so ashamed.......:banghead:

I could host a meet and greet in my car and still not be able to drive in the car pool lane.:boohoo:

Even if you not into "modifying" your old subie, it's still a great site to keep up on repair info or stuff like that. the people are fun:argue:

Glenn,

82 Hatch,

01 Forester,

• 2 weeks later...

I am from Idaho. In our fam. we currently have a 98 OBW and 98 Forester. Have had in the past an 81 GL Wagon, 84 GL Wagon, 88 GL, & 92 Wagon. Had the 84 up in a canyone down near Spanish and almost rolled it off! Had to have a local tow shop come winch it off with two winches...it was interesting! Only mod...if you call it one was snow tires.. It was a sweet ride, but never drove the same after it was moved 5 feet sideways. Hmm...in over my head on that one.

I'm on the western slope of Colorado about 90 miles from the border. it's the same out here, most people are content to watch thier old Soobs rust. which is ok for me since I've been able to score a couple good cars from these nonbelivers!

we should get a USMB mountain states Moab trip together this fall. Hells gate revenge is a kick a$$ 4x4 trail!

There have been some others wondering about a Moab Trip too.

I think our biggest problem is over hang.

Slick Rock don't give much.

I can forsee a lot of metal being removed from the underside:eek:

Gearing would be a problem on some trails depending on the direction we run them?

Big tires will just aggrivate our poor gear ratio:mad:

And yes, I hate to admit it but some trails are just out of our league (Prichett, Helldurado.....

I think it will be a reality in 2004

Rubicon now Moab!...................?

I'm in

Glenn

82 Summer, just about ready for Moab.

01 Forester, ain't gear'd for Moab.

hello

I am in western colo.

Right now have several soobs in the family

2001 Soob wagon with the 6

1988 bullet proof wagon ( sons senior)

When I say bullet proof wow what can I say

200,000 and still running

tranny has run out of oil 2x now and last time right fornt was froze.

hauled home added oil and taadaa 3,4,5 in tranny are noisy but still running.

I am in the process of rebuilding a 82 brat.

So We are here just dont say too much.

GO SOOBS

Tim

oops also 89 sedan 2 wheel drive w/ around 150,000 and untouched yet

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All!

? for Sweet82. Is that your Bandit in your sig?

I am thinking about makeing one this summer, thats how

I found this board. Looking for info on subaru's.

I like to drive the deasert roads between Salt lake and

Delta, and i dont like to feed all that gas to my chevy 4X4

eney more:D

IronHorse

Ironhorse,

Welcome to the board, we need more Utah folks represented here.

Ya, the picture is the bandit. There are more on pics in the reader ride section. Link to reader rides in the Photo section I took some artistic license with the plans. I have added room for rear seats and built a cargo rack up top. I've added rock sliders along the sides and lowered the hood 8" for visibility.

Seems as though it would make a great desert assault vehicle. I plan on playing on the Jericho sand dunes down by Delta. I have kin there.

As far as I know this is the only one around. There are two other board members who are threatening to build Bandits but so far this is the only (semi) finished one.

Happy to help with technical support.

Glenn

82 Hatch, well it used to be.......

01 Forester, bent but not broken......

now for utah, i'm 6 hours from moab, how far are you. i'd love to come up and play.

i'm so sorry for helping hi jack this post. but for the moab trip. you can't do it this year. cause i said so. i don't have any leave. and i'm deploying in june. if the military makes me miss one more trip like this i'll go crazy. the car is set up for it now. and i'll try all those helldorado, hole in the rock, pritchett canyon. cause i ain't scared and i usually don't say never till i try. unless i'm wheeling alone.

not to mention lions back.... always wanted to try....

Sweet82

I see the snow got your trees too.

Where are you ? I'm in Magna.

I guess you havent got to drive the bandit yet?

Once around the block then hide it before the cops show up?

:D

I was wondering how it handeles?

Did you use a wagon for the doner car?

Do you think it weighs less then the car did?

IronHorse

Ya the snow sucks---mainly since it's still here!

I'm up near Sugarhouse.

No Bandit driving yet:mad: I haven't fired it up since I parked the donor car for the final time last July--sniff!. I'm still working on the wiring harness---but it's soo cold I havn't made much progress in the last month.

I could easily beat the cops back to my house:D My neighbors are very supportive of the project and wouldn't call--they'ed want rides.

Under Sweet82's pics the Yellow Hatch....

That's the donor car. Kinda hard to carve up but it would have been unsafe because of the rust on the bottom side:( No need to use a wagon like they say--(The Auzzies don't have the Hatch available to them). You'll end up taking about 18" out of the driveline so it does not matter which car you start with.

I assume it will handle terrible! No Sway bar, big ATV tires and a maniac behind the wheel!:eek: What a great ride!

I have added some extras to the buggy but I still figure it will weigh around #1500 when I'm done. I can lift the back end! A buddy has lifted the front! The Hatch weighed around #2400.

Jason,

I'm 4 hours from Moab myself. I'll be down there in March and again in April. I'll be back again in the fall sometime too.

Upper Helldurado is out as far as a Sub is concerned. Lower Helldurado is now closed:mad:

Pritchett canyon is probably the worst trail in Moab

Don't mean to insult anyone but it's not Modified Sub terratory. Modified trucks don't make it. I have an old Honda Trials bike and it was hell getting up Pritchett.

Lionsback is just plain cool! The approach is from level sand to 60 degree slickrock for about 40 feet up. You have to smoke all 4's to get up to the part the is only 40-45 degrees from that point on your driving on a 20' wide fin about 500' in the air. You have to keep dead center because it slopes on both sides as you climb. Up top there is no place to turn around but the view is spectacular! going down is worse. you'll slide! I have done it on my trials bike but I'm not sure i'd do it again.

Now the bad part, The enviro whakos have purchased the land that Lionsback is on and they are not letting anyone climb it anymore.

Trails I'd suggest starting on with a MODIFIED Sub, Hells Revenge, Fins and Things, Poisen Spider, Kane Creek, Steel bender & Top of the World. These may be possible in a GEARED LIFTED Sub.

So..........when do we go!

Jason,

This is my buddys 85 Toyota, He's got a crawl ratio over 100 to 1,

He also now has a full roll cage!:eek:

This was shot about half way up Pritchett. You can't see it but the ledges are between 2 & 3 feet high. He went on too much of an angle just before this was taken:mad:

Glenn,

post-584-136027588177_thumb.jpg

you got to realize, been there and rolled the car. i don't care about the damage. and i'll try anything. i'm going up to pheonix hopefully in the next couple months to run the terminater trails and woodpecker trails. i'm sure they aren't that much worse. subaru's have always been told you can't an we have. get me, ken, eric and john. and we'll show you where they can go. i can do circles in the rocks around a lot of the rigs here in yuma.

as soon as lil' roo is on the road again. i'll get pics of the off trail rock face on the laguna mtn ridge trail. not really part of the trail but a sick rock face. with holes up to 3 feet deep and 2 foot ledges. it's sick! haven't tried it since the car has been modified. cause i have a blownstub axle in the locker i need to replace.

but don't doubt the subie and crazy people behind the wheel. i'll find a way. supposedly i couldn't make it through a lot of things, cause it's a suby. driving technique and lines are major things needed. take the wrong lines and you are screwed in any vehicle. let us try before you say we can't. cause i will.

We need to go play in Moab! Mudrat is up for it too.

I have no reservations about your driving abilities or "Little Roo's capabilities". If your willing to accept undercarrage damage as a cost of doing business then we should get a qualified group together. There are Junk yard Subarus in Moab for emergency parts.

I'm not sure Summer will be able to do much more than the trails I listed above (some are 4+ rated). I have stock gearing :mad: and 26" tires. With the over sized tires factored in my crawl ratio will not be great. I'd think overhang and gearing would be the biggest obsticales in the way of Modified Sub.

Get your boat trip over and let's go!

Glenn,

82 Hatch, almost wired.

01 Forester, bent but not broken!

I'm in Utah county... My 83Wgn spends quite a bit of time in the mountains east of Heber and in the desert west and southwest of Utah lake. Its been awhile since I've been to the message board, I had to take a break. I am sure I have seen some of you other utah Soob nutts on the road and you probably saw me staring back at your Subaru. I would be interested if any outings actually get planned and executed here in Utah. I finally found the bright yellow jacked up Hatch in Orem.

Yes, all my Soobs rust and without some major body work they all will keep on rusting. Too much salt on the roads.