Ultimate Subaru Message Board

has anyone tried a Weber 38mm DGES on an ea81?

Dante

Redline Weber's site says the 38mm DGES will provide "considerably more initial torque and acceleration", and recommends one "if the engine is . . . going to have any level of additional engine modification." I'll be running a dual carb long block with an aftermarket intake manifold and ignition system and exhaust upgrades.

And people on this board will tell you it's gonna be too much gas going to the engine. I also have dual carbs and was thinking of dual webers and they told me the same, However, I don't see why you couldn't just re-jet them. If VW's can run dual webers or delaretos (sp?) and they are about the same displacement then why can't we? To date, Not one person has answered that question any time I have asked it.

Guest taprackready

VW's have an exhaust port for each cylinder and late model's have an intake port for each cylinder. They have the ability to breath while the single intake and exhaust port sub's don't.

That is probably the only reason why. Other than the fact you can buy aftermarket intakes and exhausts all day long for VW and almost nothing is available for subs. Nobody seems to be experimenting with making their own stuff.

Bill

Hmm... The intake I am using is 25% larger than stock. The Japanese spec. dual-carb head and cam are supposed to breathe better than the US spec. head and cam. I will also open up my exhaust from the y-pipe back. All that should help, and if I have to re-jet it, then I have to re-jet it.

The reason I thought of it is I found a new 38 DGES for $260--the same price as a new 32/36 DGEV at http://www.carbsunlimited.com.

What's up on Sunday?

Cool. I'll try to make both. I'm not sure about the Subaru calendar picture day because I don't have not received the title from Mudrat79 yet (no mail on veteran's day). I'm reluctant to drive it too much until my paperwork is in order.

P.S. I took a chance and bought the carb. If I have to re-jet it, then I will...

P.P.S. This is where I got my carb: JT Outfitters. It's a Toyota Landcruiser place, but they have good regular prices on new webers (cheaper than http://www.carbsunlimited.com). I got another $20 off their regular price for the 38mm DGES...

Cool. I think you'll be very happy, especially with all the mods you've described. The only possible draw back you might encounter is fuel consumption. But the grin factor should more than offset a few mpg's difference between the 32/36 and the 38/38. Bow Wow in Lake City and Lynnwood are good source if you need other Weber stuff like jets, filter, etc. For a snorkle adapter, Jam Engineering has one for under $20...far less than I paid for mine.

Thanks Mike. I'll hold off on the snorkel for now. Unless/until I get serious about foru wheelin' I'll just run a Pipercross PX300 oiled foam filter with the Weber base (from TREUCHOICE). I alternate between a K&N panel and a Pipercross panel in my VW. The seat of my pants and Pipercross's testing says they both breathe about the same, but Pipercross filters are cheaper and filter better (based on the test results I have seen). I'll go to JAM Engineering though, when I need a snorkel.

I'll let everyone know how everything works out. Don't hold your breath . . . this project may take a while :D