Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone have any luck with stop-leak

for the engine oil.....im drippin alot of oil all of a sudden...normally never dripped at all....im thinking last time i changed the oil i might have overfilled it being in a hurry...and maybe caused it to squeeze its way through whichever seals or gaskets it may be coming from...

any opinion what to do, besides taking the engine apart to replace seals?...i havent really gotten a chance to clean everything up and check where its leaking from, since i've got classes during the daylight and work after classes plus i have no garage to shelter me from the elements...

im just lookin for a possible quick fix if there is one...im going to make sure all the bolts are tighten'd up on the valve covers tomorrow morn. before school hopefully being able to clean the underside this weekend

I love stop leak, but not many others here do. I had a rear seal start leaking on my Legacy wagon at around 100,000 miles and I put the gold eagle brand in my engine and it stopped leaking. My idle pully came apart and I replaced the engine at 288,000 miles and it had never started back leaking. Also my cams seals never leaked after using the stop leak. The other car I used stop leak in at around 150,000 miles and ended up putting around 400,000 miles on it with no trouble. I have never heard of anyone winning a law suit against the makers of these products for damage done to an engine and they have been around for nearly 100 years. If you go to the web site of some these products they explain how they work, they gently cause the dried seal to expand through chemical reaction.

for the engine oil.....im drippin alot of oil all of a sudden...normally never dripped at all....im thinking last time i changed the oil i might have overfilled it being in a hurry...and maybe caused it to squeeze its way through whichever seals or gaskets it may be coming from...

any opinion what to do, besides taking the engine apart to replace seals?...i havent really gotten a chance to clean everything up and check where its leaking from, since i've got classes during the daylight and work after classes plus i have no garage to shelter me from the elements...

im just lookin for a possible quick fix if there is one...im going to make sure all the bolts are tighten'd up on the valve covers tomorrow morn. before school hopefully being able to clean the underside this weekend

<<I just got my car back from the shop '96 2.2L 120k, EVERYTHING was leaking. so ~$1700 and I got a new clutch/flywheel/all seals (besides HG).>>

WOW:eek: i hope they did the timing belt, water and oil pump too for that price.

if you want to bring it down to my shop in NJ i will quote these prices for your services:

Cam seals & crank seal- $30

Oil Pump, timing belt, and water pump $400

valve cover gaskets- $125

1700 includes new genuine subaru parts and installation:

flywheel

clutch kit

VC gaskets

rear and front main seal

cam seals

oil seperator plate

timing belt and tensioner v-belts

oil pump oring

water pump and thermostat

clutch cable

timing cover gaskets

All new....and heat shields are now tack welded so they dont rattle anymore :headbang:

Time to reseal the engine, stop leak wont help at that mileage

Cam seals

Main Seals

Oil Pump Seals

When was the last time a timing belt and water pump were done also?

nipper

i knew you were going to say that..haha but i cant afford the labor for all of that....and this came so random...so im still gonna try to tighten the bolts on the valve covers and hopefully that'll be the problem :banana:

haha yea right

it desperately needs a good tune-up tho, timing belt was last changed at 120k and water pump was probably never changed.....if i had my own garage and it was summertime again i'd tackle all of this myself with a pal or two...but i use this thing everyday for school and hardly have enough time after class to go to work..trying to work on my car is out of the question with no time to do it

i posted a thread awhile ago about trying to get some help with doing it...i'd pay them, plus i could learn some ....but no luck; so incase anyone see's this one.....i'll pay you cash (completely confidential so you can spend it on w/e without your old lady yelling)to do some charity work for a stranger..."you'll feel good afterwards"

Valve cover gaskets are eeeeeeeeeeeeeasy. Just do them yourself.

i have a habit of typing without thinking first.....i was referring to the seals beneath the timing covers......valve cover gaskets are easy, but i dont like to mess with the sensitive things without the proper tools or place