Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whats the deal....every time i compare a car to a subaru the subaru fals short....why are they so slow....im not talking the sti or anything im talking legacys.....1995-2005....why are they so slow.....today in my 1997 gt (2.5L auto) i was racing a civic (2007) on the highway and he was outrunning me....i was kind of appaulled.....ive got 165hp....with an air intake im thining around 170hp and hes got 140hp.....there is just under a 300 pound weight difference......i dont get it! A CIVIC FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what? u lost? ive kept up with bmw's and mercedes, and a honda civic, i just killed killed badly, i dotn know why urs is slwo, and off the line, its a rocket! and once u get it going to get it o 190km doesnt take much.
Racing is bad and illegal, mmkay? Must I point you to the SVX forum about this?

Legacies aren't fast. Period. Unless you mod them, they aren't fast in straight line races.

Racing is bad and illegal, mmkay? Must I point you to the SVX forum about this?

Legacies aren't fast. Period. Unless you mod them, they aren't fast in straight line races.

who said im racing? im trying to pass some rump roast, who wouldnt let me in let gunned it i know he did , and i gunned it, from a red, and got ahead of that dam bmw, man. I dont race personally , im saying when i gota pass, u make it sound like i turn and nodd, lol, i aint no ricer.

who said im racing? im trying to pass some rump roast, who wouldnt let me in let gunned it i know he did , and i gunned it, from a red, and got ahead of that dam bmw, man. I dont race personally , im saying when i gota pass, u make it sound like i turn and nodd, lol, i aint no ricer.
Your posts certainly don't make you come off as someone who isn't a ricer.

The Honda's drivetrain is more efficient, and the engine probably revs out better than an EJ22. It's the price you pay for having a versatile car.

That said, I still cannot believe how well Subarus do at sustained high speed driving on the highway through rough and/or slick conditions. Try taking ice-covered corners with frost heaves in them at 80 mph in that civic...:dead:

The Honda's drivetrain is more efficient, and the engine probably revs out better than an EJ22. It's the price you pay for having a versatile car.

That said, I still cannot believe how well Subarus do at sustained high speed driving on the highway through rough and/or slick conditions. Try taking ice-covered corners with frost heaves in them at 80 mph in that civic...:dead:[/QUOTa

Amen! I would love to see you go up against(not race) this Honda here in Iowa next month; Snow, ice, we get it all, and my Forester handles like a snowmobile! i 've even tried to get stuck and I couldn't get it done.

Maybe that person did some mods to the Civic, I mean those are pretty popular ricers with lots of aftermarket performance items aren't they?

Wright!

Who said wagons are slow?

But then again, what's the point? I just think subs are good all around. If we loved hondas or any other make, we wouldn't be here

yeah its AWD but 165hp is to the wheels so if there was drivtrain loss te HP would be lower
Umm. No. 165 HP is bhp, or hp at the crank. It's certainly not that at the wheels. You have AWD and an auto, that's why you got smoked. You also have a car that weighs much more than the civic. Subarus aren't fast in straight lines without a lot of modding so.....

whats the deal....every time i compare a car to a subaru the subaru fals short....why are they so slow....im not talking the sti or anything im talking legacys.....1995-2005....why are they so slow.....today in my 1997 gt (2.5L auto) i was racing a civic (2007) on the highway and he was outrunning me....i was kind of appaulled.....ive got 165hp....with an air intake im thining around 170hp and hes got 140hp.....there is just under a 300 pound weight difference......i dont get it! A CIVIC FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Many many problems with your reasoning. Crank horsepower is not the whole story. Wheel horsepower actually moves the car. Wheel horsepower to weight ratio is very important. 300 lbs is a lot, even if that is how low the difference is.

And PEAK horsepower doesn't tell you very much either. I guarantee the 160 hp I have in my '93 Legacy Sport Sedan is faster than your 165 hp all day.

Not to mention, we haven't even gone into gearing, rotating mass, and many other factors yet. If you want to be that much faster you need a turbo engine or a different car. Otherwise you have to accept the car's relative slowness. GL's for the win! :headbang:

what? u lost? ive kept up with bmw's and mercedes, and a honda civic, i just killed killed badly, i dotn know why urs is slwo, and off the line, its a rocket! and once u get it going to get it o 190km doesnt take much.

You can't really say your car is faster unless both vehicles are at the same drag strip on the same day. You can rarely be 100% sure the other person has the gas pedal buried.

so even if i were to get a 15 hp difference from an exhaust package it wouldnt do anything?
Doubt you'd get 15hp from a N/A Exhaust set up and no, it probably wouldn't make any difference at all. If you want a fast car in a straight line, go get one with a Turbo and not AWD because those factors make for big time whp loss.

But then, after doing that, you'll be like every other ricer in the world. Legacy owners are supposed to be cultured drivers, not lame-rump roast street racers like all the ricers.

You can't really say your car is faster unless both vehicles are at the same drag strip on the same day. You can rarely be 100% sure the other person has the gas pedal buried.

ya good point, he probably let off the gas when we saw me trieing to get in, but still overall i think these cars are very quick. A honda, is uncomparable, and i dont think the auto and manu difference is huge, like my tranny downshifts instantly, and shifts really quick, at high rpm's. But i would think the gear ratio has alot to do with the way the car drives, like i find when i floor it from stand still, its a 6krpms instantly, i think a 3.9ratio? i think thats waht i mean is better then the 4.11? or is it the other way around. But overall, these cars are pretty dam quick, and a new honda is a new honda, and im sure they way ALOT less. And what someone said about AWD making it slower. Well, initially, thats why i got the boxer engine, lol, and i think the main issue with the awd system is the stress,but if the computer sends more torque to the front, and a little to the back like 5 or 10percent it should be good. Like when u try a newer subaru like a forester, u floor it and u can definitly feel the 50 50 split torque and a definit reduction with off the line performance, then we i get back in my 1993 subaru legacy, i Gun is, and its gone, thats what i love about my car, compared to the dam forester. Subaru tells me its a safety feature LOL, so if i get hit by a bus its safety? bbecause i couldnt get out of the way? But thats My Opinion.

Well the newer turbo foresters are like 0-60 in 5 seconds or something crazy like that which is pretty darn quick.

Now, there are various honda civics, like maybe you were up against this beast (4-door 2007 Civic Si Sedan):

This 6-speed, 197-horsepower sedan boasts a 16-valve, DOHC i-VTEC® engine with an 8,000 rpm redline for a powerful ride.