Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Subaru GL Wagon - push button 4wd to D/R possible?

How goes, everyone?

Had a quick q: looking at a cheap 1986 GL Wagon with the push-button 4wd. Was wondering, if I could get ahold of a D/R, what might be involved in the swap? I hear tell it might be a simple drop-in replacement, with just a cover plate over the 4wd stick? Or it could involve more? I'd dig around the forums more, but I'm kind of anxious to find out sooner so I can go pick this baby up today. What, exactly would be needed from a parts car to make the swap?

Thanks in advance for your replies, guys.

I know from my experience here

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67166

that ATLEAST one plug on the Tranny will be different. I also know that you will need to swap in a D/R driveline since its a different length.

BTW I might have the parts available for the swap in a few weeks for a small price.....

I think I read somewhere else that the plug you are referring to is the neutral plug from carb models? Not super worried about that..

But what's this about different driveline lengths? You're saying a pushbutton 4wd has a different driveline than a d/r 4wd?! :confused: Maybe I'm clueless ( probably ), but that doesn't seem right..

The driveline is not a different length. I have a pushbutton driveline behind the D/R in my Brat, and I just did an auto to manual swap using a D/R and a pushbutton driveline. All 5 speed 4WD tranny's use the same driveline - even the XT6

Basically going from a push-button to D/R is just a matter of swapping the trans and the 4WD shifter linkage into your car. It's very easy. Your only real challenge will be the ECU's neutral switch IF you use a transmision from 87 or earlier. 88 and 89 have the switch, and will hook striaght up, but older units do not. You can use the cruise control clutch switch for this function instead to keep the ECU from throwing a code. In any case, the switch will not prevent you from starting or driving the car, but the CEL will light up after a few miles without it.

GD

The driveline is not a different length. I have a pushbutton driveline behind the D/R in my Brat, and I just did an auto to manual swap using a D/R and a pushbutton driveline. All 5 speed 4WD tranny's use the same driveline - even the XT6

Basically going from a push-button to D/R is just a matter of swapping the trans and the 4WD shifter linkage into your car. It's very easy. Your only real challenge will be the ECU's neutral switch IF you use a transmision from 87 or earlier. 88 and 89 have the switch, and will hook striaght up, but older units do not. You can use the cruise control clutch switch for this function instead to keep the ECU from throwing a code. In any case, the switch will not prevent you from starting or driving the car, but the CEL will light up after a few miles without it.

GD

Ahh, that's good to hear. I knew I'd be getting a reply from you, GD. :D Thanks, man. I'm confused, though.. If this is an '86 car, why would it need a plug that wasn't on trannies until '88?

D/R tranny's didn't come with fuel injection till 88 (except for the RX's and such - but those are 1.2:1 crappy low range, and 3.7 read diff), so any that you find that are older are from carbed vehicles that didn't need the switch. Sadly it can't be added to the older trans as the spot for it is not drilled and tapped, and can't be unless the transfer case is removed from the trans - which is WAY too much work.

GD

D/R tranny's didn't come with fuel injection till 88 (except for the RX's and such - but those are 1.2:1 crappy low range, and 3.7 read diff), so any that you find that are older are from carbed vehicles that didn't need the switch. Sadly it can't be added to the older trans as the spot for it is not drilled and tapped, and can't be unless the transfer case is removed from the trans - which is WAY too much work.

GD

So you're saying this '86 GL would be an SPFI since it's push-button.

Does that mean that if it were an '86 with a D/R, then it would have a carbed engine?

So basically, the tranny mandated the fuel delivery system? Push-button would get SPFI, and D/R would get carbed? So what you're trying to tell me is that I'm looking at an SPFI engine ( you know this from push-button tranny ) and so if I put a D/R in there, I have this neutral switch problem?

As usual, endless thanks for your help.

I've seen carbed ones with push button. I had a carbed one with dual range. I swaped that tranny into my loyale (spfi) and had the neutral switch issue. I ignored the MIL, cause I was swapping to the EJ22 soon anyways. Dual range bolts right up, the screws that hold down the shifter boot plate may be rusty, be careful.

me and GD did the auto to manual DR swap into my loyale. i dont the switch hooked up and its my daily driver. runs fine. but i did use a cruise control switch i will wire to my ecu in the netural switch spot so when the clutch is out it thinks its in gear and when its in it thinks its in netural. not a big hassle just a small hurdle. best of luck on your swap

Does that mean that if it were an '86 with a D/R, then it would have a carbed engine?

So basically, the tranny mandated the fuel delivery system? Push-button would get SPFI, and D/R would get carbed? So what you're trying to tell me is that I'm looking at an SPFI engine ( you know this from push-button tranny ) and so if I put a D/R in there, I have this neutral switch problem?

I think he may not be clear on what vehicle you have.. do YOU know if its a carb or SPFI? top, center of the engine, does it have a large black rubber boot that says SUBARU EFI on it going over to an air filter box? I have not access to fotos to show you what it looks like.. but they can be found (im sure when GD replies he will have a pic to show you) or is there a carburetor, with an air filter attached around it?

Anyhow, if you have a carbed vehicle, and your talking about installing the trans from a carbed vehicle, then this VSS should be a non issue.

Ok - I guess I got confused - I think for some reason I was assuming it was turbo. Where did I get that :confused:.....

Um - anyway - ok so if it's an 86 push-button it really *should* be a DL (crank windows and all that business), but maybe a GL - most all GL's were already D/R tho.

At any rate, you are looking at a carb, yes. 86 4WD's (regardless of push-button or D/R) were carbed across the board (except turbo's). So disregard what I said about the neutral switch since it wouldn't apply to a carbed vehicle.

GD

Ok - I guess I got confused - I think for some reason I was assuming it was turbo. Where did I get that :confused:.....

Um - anyway - ok so if it's an 86 push-button it really *should* be a DL (crank windows and all that business), but maybe a GL - most all GL's were already D/R tho.

At any rate, you are looking at a carb, yes. 86 4WD's (regardless of push-button or D/R) were carbed across the board (except turbo's). So disregard what I said about the neutral switch since it wouldn't apply to a carbed vehicle.

GD

No worries - I appreciate the info. Turns out this thing *is* a turbo, so everything you said applies afterall. ;) I should hear today if they'll take $100 for it. :brow: BTW, since it's a turbo, does that mean it has to be the GL-10 trim level? She also mentioned a sunroof.. But the ad says DL.. I'm thinking she's confused..

No worries - I appreciate the info. Turns out this thing *is* a turbo, so everything you said applies afterall. ;) I should hear today if they'll take $100 for it. :brow: BTW, since it's a turbo, does that mean it has to be the GL-10 trim level? She also mentioned a sunroof.. But the ad says DL.. I'm thinking she's confused..

She's totally confused - it's probably just a GL Turbo. It could be a GL-10, but it's hard to say. The push-button was real common on the Turbo, and on the DL. Wierd how the top of the line, and the bottom got the same tranny??

Good example - I got a tip on a sedan. Guy's wife said it's an 83, then I talk to him and he says it's an 84 (so still EA81), and says it's a 5 speed 4WD, so I figure it's really an 85 with an 84 build date..... I get there and it's an 86 :rolleyes:. People got no idea what they own.

GD