Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new and old rear wheel bearing differences (for 4WD)

I am changing rear wheel bearings and I found that the new wheel bearings and my old ones are very different. On a 4WD Sube, the rear wheels use a single wheel bearing assembly, but my old bearing is made of two bearings, an inner spacer, an outer spacer, and two pieces that go over the bearings (see attached pictures). This is different than the 906100007 wheel bearing assembly that I bought from 1stsubaruparts.com. What gives? Did I get the wrong type of bearing?

post-66-136027619126_thumb.jpg

post-66-136027619129_thumb.jpg

The ones I just put in my car had an outer 1 piece sleeve that the two bearing tapers were in, two tapered roller bearings with 1/2 the inner spacer on each one. 3 piece bearings. It's an exact replacement for what came on the car.

Thats what I got in the mail. What is the plastic piece inside the bearing assembly for? It looks like I will have to pull it out before the bearing assembly will fit onto the spindle.

I don't have to pack in any grease with this new bearing assembly, is this correct?

Yes! The oil in the bearings is only to stop it from rusting. You have to use brake clean to take out the oil and pack it with hi-temp wheel bearing grease. The white plastic thingy is only to hold it together while it's shipped. Press in the bearing race, the big outer part, then put in the inner wheel bearing, put the seal and nut in on the inside, stake it once it's tight, then put the axel in and put the outer wheel bearing in, Pull the axel through using the nut and various spacers to push on the bearing right next to the axel shaft it's self. Do not pull it through by bracing against the housing. Once your finished, put the inner seal on, put the brakes back together, and torque everything down.

Yes! The oil in the bearings is only to stop it from rusting. You have to use brake clean to take out the oil and pack it with hi-temp wheel bearing grease. The white plastic thingy is only to hold it together while it's shipped. Press in the bearing race, the big outer part, then put in the inner wheel bearing, put the seal and nut in on the inside, stake it once it's tight, then put the axel in and put the outer wheel bearing in, Pull the axel through using the nut and various spacers to push on the bearing right next to the axel shaft it's self. Do not pull it through by bracing against the housing. Once your finished, put the inner seal on, put the brakes back together, and torque everything down.

You lost me. The new bearing that I have is one large bearing instead of two bearings and spacers. It doesn't look like it can come apart, at least not without breaking it apart. The axles do not go through the bearings in the rear. The spindles go through the bearings and the axles mount onto the inner splines of the spindles.

So how do I pack this bearing?

On the single peice units the other taper bearings should come off for packing.... IIRC, but it's been a while since I messed with one. Usually the grease packed with bearings is supposed to be flushed out and replaced before install, unless you buy sealed bearings.

GD

You are right about that. At work, when you open a new box of parts there is usually a big piece of paper in it saying these bearings are coated for preservation and should be cleaned prior to installation.

You lost me. The new bearing that I have is one large bearing instead of two bearings and spacers. It doesn't look like it can come apart, at least not without breaking it apart.
Push the plastic tube thingy out of the middle, and it will come apart.

The axles do not go through the bearings in the rear. The spindles go through the bearings and the axles mount onto the inner splines of the spindles.

So how do I pack this bearing?

Sorry, on mine the cv cup was fused onto the splines, so the whole thing looked like a front axel. Pull the axel stub through the bearing from the back.