Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looks like you are still under warranty (04 with 24,000 miles) . I would get thee soon to a dealer and pitch a bit@h.:headbang:

Is it supposed to go completely away when the motor warms up? Mine does not. It does get much quieter, but I can still hear the tick-tick-tick.

What should I do?

Oh, it's the 04 Forester that has it. Only 24,000 miles too. :(

Is it supposed to go completely away when the motor warms up? Mine does not. It does get much quieter, but I can still hear the tick-tick-tick.

What should I do?

Oh, it's the 04 Forester that has it. Only 24,000 miles too. :(

I agree! Moreover, I recomend also complaining in writing. Don't let them get away with the old, " thats just how Subarus are." My friend has a '00 outback, with 80k, 2.5, with nary a tick.

Has this just started with the colder weather? I notice that during the colder months I'll get more of a 'knock' (not really a tick) on startup that goes away.

I've noticed a ticking sound on my '02, but i'm pretty sure it's just the injectors... I believe that a bad timing belt tensioner might also tick excessivelyif it's bad.

Def let the dealer know, esp with such low mileage.

A bad new-style tensioner will sound much louder than typical suby piston slap or lifter ticking. It has a definite metal-on-metal sound that clearly comes from behind the timing belt cover. Start to diagnose the problem by listening to the engine and trying to hear where the noise is coming from.