Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Probs...Need Advise/Help 2 seeif I can fix it myself?

Guest JER2911

Well, the girlfriends '94 Imprezza's clutch went south on us the other night. Now it looks like she needs a clutch replaced...I need to know what is involved to repair it to see if I can do this myself...Anyone here have any experiance (I know, that was a retorical question hee hee hee)

What are the tools needed etc to do this?? What's the estimated time it takes etc. etc. Thanks!!!

Jordan

Guest theotherskip

well, there's two ways to get to the clutch. either from the transmission side, or the engine side. pulling the engine requires a way to lift it from above, but it can make doing some of the other maintenance easy while you have it out (timing belt, valve clearance adjust, etc). pulling the transmission is difficult, especially when working in a driveway. I assume this is AWD, so you have to remove both of the front half shafts and the drive shaft to the rear. then you have need to remove the transmission, which can be quite difficult in a driveway. usually the best for this is on a lift with a transmission jack. that said, it is not out of the realm of the do it yourselfer, but it is definately an advanced project complicated by the AWD (if you have it).

Guest JER2911

No, actually this car is only FWD - so....What would I need??

I don't have a car lift in the sence that a shop would have, but I do have a jack and plenty of tools...what/how should I do this??? Anyone here done this in their drive way?? She really needs this done as quickly and as cheap as possible....Help!!! Thanks!

Guest theotherskip

my Imprezza knowledge is not good, hopefully others can add particular details. dropping a transmission in a driveway is not a fun proposition. fwd's are especially difficult, as you have to remove both half shafts to do it. you typically need a transmission jack, which has a special plate with chains that will securely hold the transmission once you disconnect it from the engine. all of this is complicated by the fact that you are lying flat on your back trying to muscle a heavy transmission around. overall, your quickest way would probably be to have it done. if you call some local independent mechanics, you should be able to find a fair price...

Guest spagemurray

Don't forget to get flywheel skimmed and of course use new Grade #8 bolts to put it together. NEVER re-use the old bolts.