Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5/16th bypass hose

I got an '88 ea82t. The hose running from the thermostat housing to underneath the intake, is leaking at the thermostat housing. To get to the part underneath the intake, can I pull the throttle body, to get to the hose, or do I have to pull the intake? :confused: Please say I don't have to pull the intake. Please say this is a piece of cake. If you say I have to pull the intake, how much will be involved? I just replaced the pita turbo hoses. Now it's leaking up front! :banghead: Thanks ~Myles~

that thing sucks. I recommend a pair of angled needlenose pliers or angled-nose hemostats, and a hand mirror. maybe a flashlight beamed off of the mirror too if you have a flashlight that doesn't taste bad or someone else to hold it.

If someone used a hose clamp instead of a tension clamp you're pulling the intake.

Another option would be to clip the hose off short of the thermostat housing and splice the clipped-off length back on with some bulk hose and a joiner of some sort.. this of course will require 2 more clamps. Not a permanent fix but maybe good enough to last the winter, fix it when it's warmer outside later :rolleyes:

also, there should be some coolant hoses involved with the throttle body. At some point, a turbo car needs all of it's coolant lines replaced. The extra heat underhood from the turbo just cooks them all. the more dramatic temperature changes a car experiences in the winter might mean you'll have more to fix.. i seem to recall a lot of my turbo cars' coolant lines popping when it was cold. FYI....

Thanks a lot. There was a pinhole right at the thermostat housing, so I cut the bad section off and added a hose fitting and a new section with clamps. Works great. I hope your right and I can get to warmer days before having to tear into it. Ohhhh, for a garage :slobber: .

~Myles~

That's my 2 cents and it's worth a nickel