Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT engine swap in GL-10 Turbo

river2surf

This same swap has been done before, but by another person. I have an XT donor car and am getting ready to swap the engine out, and want to know if there is anything I should know before the swap.

Can I just pull the motor from the XT and put it into the GL-10 with te accessories still on the motor (ie. AC, power stearing pump, alternator)?

the XT uses a serp. belt and the GL uses a V-belt. but as long as you take all the accs. this should work fine. and the wiring on the XT intake manifold is much longer than that on the GL. also check the connectors on the intake to body wiring harness. make sure they are the same, IE: both round, one round one squair, one black one white...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

OK, so I will probably have to change the engine accessories, does this mean I will need to change the water pump too. The donor engine is an 88 and the GL-10 is a 89.

no, if you leave all the accessories on the engine with the swap, everything will work fine..

otherwise, you'll need to change the waterpump pulley (maybe the whole pump too...I'm not sure) and crank pulley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, the belts are different but the acces. will work if you use the xt crank pulley , and use the xt belts. the power steering hoses (xt has offset reservoir)and a/c hoses may be different also but should work if you use all the xt stuff. good luck on it.

This same swap has been done before, but by another person. I have an XT donor car and am getting ready to swap the engine out, and want to know if there is anything I should know before the swap.

Can I just pull the motor from the XT and put it into the GL-10 with te accessories still on the motor (ie. AC, power stearing pump, alternator)?

• 2 weeks later...
Hate to be a rain cloud, but I will... the wiring is a bit different. The XT uses a integrated idle switch/TPS where the turbo does not. The spider intake is cool like that. I have a theory on how to make it work... but you won't like it:-\

Well, I am getting ready to do the swap soon. I am replacing a previous swap of the same engine. I am prettey sure it is straight forward, but wanted to know if there were any things I should be aware of. The MPFI worked well in my GL-10 Turbo wagon, but blew a head gasket. So I am sure it can be done, it is just a matter of time and any pointers since I did not do the original swap!

Hate to be a rain cloud, but I will... the wiring is a bit different. The XT uses a integrated idle switch/TPS where the turbo does not. The spider intake is cool like that. I have a theory on how to make it work... but you won't like it:-\

Actually, its only the 85-86 Turbos that don't have a true TPS, and that's on all cars. XT or Non-XT. All 87+ Turbos have a true TPS. Non-XT and XT both. The difference in 87+ is some have a four wire TPS like the SPFI, and others have a three wire TPS, then an extra plug for the idle switch and full throttle switch.

At least, this is as the FSM says.

You may need to use the GL-10 intake manifold on the XT engine. You may need to swap power steering pumps, or swap hoses, as the XT uses a different pump. Otherwise, shouldn't be too bad.