Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug swap question

gregmckenna

not sure what you're asking. you want to do a 5-lug swap on your XT, and want to use this XT6 as the donor?

the rear end stuff has to come off an XT6 (well...except the caliper..). newer stuff is completely different. the backing plate, and rotor should work. but at the very least you'll need a FWD XT6 hub. and the backing plate will need to be modified....and the rotor may not even work...

pretty much the only piece that will 100% work, is the front end stuff. and the only thing from the front that has to be from an XT6 are the control arms

yes they are both 5 speeds and my XT is not a turbo but that is also going to change this winter... I really wanted to avoid AWD as I always looked at it as dead weight but i supose I would be quicker off the dig as I woudltn be spining. ohh is the AWD ran threw the ECU or is it all mechanicle... if its ran through the ecu I dont see how I can make it work.I also dont know how exactly I would get the rear diff up in there and the tank is shaped differently... it be easyier to put my 4 banger in the XT6 body

also what was meant by this post is that I have a N/A(naturally aspirated) XT 2WD and I am buying a XT6 AWD so Im curios for the five lug swap what all I will need from a 2WD XT6 to keep my XT 2wd or if it may be possible to get what I need for the back from the legacy that is while trying to stay 2WD

okay so I was thinking, I could do this whole swap using my tranny (2wd) and the rear out of the XT6(AWD). now I wont have a way of bolting the wheels on because the axles are not runing through the hubs/rotors and there is no rear diff there because my tranny is 2wd so the wheel can be torqued on. what if I take the rear axles and cut the threaded tip off at the start of the boot shoving it throgh the back of the rotor/hub assembly were the full axle usually goes (pretty much using it as a spindale) welding it right there in position.... now the wheel can be put on and the big nut can be screwed onto the peice of axle that was welded in. if anyone can understand my long idea and thinks it may work let me know??

I have no idea what u mean by stub shafts and the XT6 has failing air ride and requires the floors welded in which Ive done to mine my motor has 90 000 kms and the 6 has 170 000 wich still isnt bad... and to be hoenst Ive never bin a fan of the H6 motor because it just means 4 more valves to tick for me. and were Im looking at a turbo in the near futur the exhaust is already there for the 4 banger were as custom exhaust will need to be made for the H6.... I also have no knowledge of potential of an H6 an 6 parts are hard for me to get... I can get alot of XT parts off of loyales etc

fair enough. I listed all the parts you'll need from a FWD '6 in my previous post.

if you swap the rear trailing arms, then the mounts at the hubs will be the same as a 4WD, but you won't have any axles or a diff.

to swap to 4WD, you'll need the tranny, and this:

3242PICT1014.JPG

gas tanks should be the same. the tank on my 2WD loyale had the indent for the diff when I converted to 4WD

like I said, the rear suspension isn't anything even remotely similar to what a legacy's got. crawl under the back of an EA car, and then go look at the rear end of an EJ car.....they're like different planets.

the AWD is only controlled by a computer (seperate from the ECU..) on the automatics. if they're both 5-speeds, you should be able to bolt up the tranny and wire up the diff lock switch, and you're set.

yeah thanks guys Im pretty straightened out now I dont want AWD in my non turbo XT it woudl be the ultimate gutless wonder so Im pretty much going to shove the rear out of the XT6 in my car use my 2WD tranny and just use the outer axles wtick them through the hubs and bolt em on... it should work fine

yeah thanks guys Im pretty straightened out now I dont want AWD in my non turbo XT it woudl be the ultimate gutless wonder so Im pretty much going to shove the rear out of the XT6 in my car use my 2WD tranny and just use the outer axles wtick them through the hubs and bolt em on... it should work fine

yep. you don't need to stick the outer axles through the hubs though....the axles disconnect from the spindles just like they do from the tranny or diff. a roll pin, and slide them off. don't even need to take the wheel off.

so technically I can just throw the rear end in the car without using rear axles and a rear diff becuase the axles pug intot eh spindle and the spindle holds th wheel on... sounds beautiful

correct. the easiest way would probably be to just swap the trailing arms. 2 bolts on either side at the pivot point. one at the bottom of the strut, take off the axle and the sway bar (if applicable...if so...you might as well put it back on when you get it into your car!). brake lines, I beleive there's a clamp that holds one of the fuel lines to the trailing arm somewhere....or maybe it was the crossmember....either way, watch for that. and then swap 'em.

as per the driveshaft removal. you can remove the rear half of the driveshaft without pulling it out of the tranny (and therefore loosing the gear oil). 4 little bolts on either end, and it should come right out.

and no, XT6s all had rear discs. the pic above is actually out of a GL wagon....but it's the same setup.