Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo sound bland. Tweeter kit improves?

You should be able to buy a speaker level to preamp output converter, I'm not sure if crutchfield has them, partsexpress.com use to...

** Look under Electronic Crossovers

By the way, where/how are you going to run the +12v from the batt to your amp? I'd like to re-hook up my sub one of these days, but would like to be nice and neat about punching that hole in the firewall..

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by nickb21

You should be able to buy a speaker level to preamp output converter, I'm not sure if crutchfield has them, partsexpress.com use to...

** Look under Electronic Crossovers

By the way, where/how are you going to run the +12v from the batt to your amp? I'd like to re-hook up my sub one of these days, but would like to be nice and neat about punching that hole in the firewall..

Run the power wire through the firewall in the passenger side footwell. 8 gauge wire will easily fit through the A/C evaporator condensation drain hole in the footwell along with the drain hose. It is easy to route the power cable from the firewall hole to the kick panel and under the carpet. 4 gauge wire is too big for this particular hole, it will crimp and block the drain hose, and your passenger will get wet feet. Be careful with power wire routing on the engine side of the firewall, the A/C drain is close to the exhaust. Make sure the wire is firmly tied down out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the two front Infinity speakers yesterday and today. Took them out yesterday, brought the mounts home and cut the back off to mount the new speakers, and installed them today.

They sound great but I'm concerned whether I wire the + and - correctly.

I cut the pigtails off the factory speakers so I could retain the existing plug connectors. On the left front door, as I recall there was a grey wire, and a grey wire with a green stripe or something like that.

On the R. side the two wires were black and red. I think I assumed the solid color was - and black was -, respectively (I think). Is that right?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this whole deal with speaker polarity is interesting now that it has been brought up. My home theater surround system is a hodge podge of 4 different speaker brands. After I hooked everything up I thought it was OK until I used a 'test sequence' on a DVD of Titan A.E. ( (IIRC). I discovered my Cerwin Vega center channel speaker was marked 'reverse' from all the other speakers. I just switched the wires.

I was once told by a guy that worked for a speaker manufacturer that, if you connect a 9V battery to a speaker, +to+ and -to- the cone should move forward.

Can anyone confirm this? Might be a good test.

You can check speaker porlarity this way. Also you can listen to the sound and hear the difference. When the two speakers are wired out of phase with each other the sound field will not be focused. Try it out sometime with a home stereo. Sit in the middle between the speakers, with you and the speakers forming a perfect triangle, and wire one out of phase. Then listen how the sound field is. When the wiring is in phase the sound imaging make it like the stage is right in front of you and the sound doesn't appear to be coming from the speakers. Your in the zone then.

Originally posted by snotrocket

Is your jag not good in snow, or are you babying it? Cuz I used mine to pull a thunderbird out of a mud hole, and then i did donuts. In the snow. It loves snow.

I'd love to read more about your EJ22-powered bug. Do you have a web site?

Originally posted by Strakes

Shortly after buying my 2002 Legacy GT wagon, I replaced my factory door speakers with a set of Kenwoods and added Rockford Fosgate tweeters up where the factory tweeter kit goes. The sound change is awesome. The cheap, paper factory speakers don't reproduce sound that well. The installation was easy...I bought all the components from Crutchfield and they sent excellent, step-by-step, instructions. The car is pre-wired, so that eliminated a lot of work.

Where do the factory tweeters mount? Near the mirrors?