Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatch Patrol's 6th? annual X-mas Tree Run to Greenwater !!UPDATE!!

Just prior to climbing the hard parts

100_9523.jpg

Really like this picture

100_9527.jpg

The fork is where chaos begun! We were literally at this position for 1-2 hours. We left before anyone moved their positions, so I’m not sure how long you guys were up there. One after another kept getting stuck in the snow.

100_9528.jpg

At the “Summit”

100_9529.jpg

Noah’s suby

100_9530.jpg

The Shucks guy

100_9531.jpg

Can’t recall who this was

100_9532.jpg

100_9534.jpg

Hatch Patrol at his best

100_9533.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooo.. not another one stuck

100_9535.jpg

100_9536.jpg

100_9537.jpg

Ken giving some rear weight for Eric

100_9538.jpg

100_9539.jpg

100_9540.jpg

100_9542.jpg

Ken running to tell the waiting vehicles of the situation

100_9541.jpg

After waiting patiently for an opening of the one way path, Gregg and I had to drive back down in order to make it on time for his family dinner on the Oregon Coast.

We ended up nearly being 1 hour behind schedule. We kept on running into vehicles on our way down that didn’t have a clue of what to do in the snowing conditions. Some were on their street tires and others without any tow rope/equipment.

Scoobyclimbs began by towing out the Ford Explorer that was with us. On our way with the Ford Explorer, we ran into a Silver Chevy 4 door pickup. The gentleman seemed to be stuck. We hooked the tow strap and pulled the guy out of the deep snow. While he was backing up, us in front of the Explorer, we ran into another vehicle. This time it was a 4 door Red Dodge Ram Pickup. By testing the snow depth beside the trucks, Gregg determined it be best to drive aside of both of the trucks and pull Dodge from the rear. By doing this, we would also be 2 cars ahead of schedule and possibly get to the Oregon Coast on time that afternoon. We managed to get through the both of the trucks and WOW would you have to be their to seem the expressions on the spectators faces when the Outback plowed through the snow to the side of them. The Dodge was running chains in the rear and seemed to think that was right. When we were packing up for the next victim, we overheard someone saying to another “I need to go and by a Subaru now.”

Scoobyclimbs pulling out the Dodge

100_9543.jpg

100_9546.jpg

100_9547.jpg

Another shot of pulling the abandoned Dodge pickup and awaiting for the fore coming vehicle to back down.

100_9548.jpg

After getting by the fore coming vehicle, we were stopped by our last vehicle, a silver grand Cherokee. We crawled around it and pulled the vehicle about 40 yards where there was a turn around spot. (the spot where we lowered our tire pressure)

All in all, we pulled out 4 vehicles. Everyone seemed to be very thankful about the whole situation and also seemed amazed of what a Subaru can really do.

We did make it down the mountain okay. I’m guessing that a lot of you went through the same pain as we did?

Cactus at Taco Time

100_9552.jpg

And Cartsten on the drive down to Olympia

100_9554.jpg

Hope to see some of the guys that couldn’t make it at the next Christmas Run!

Bryan

We had a great time given the short amount available.

Bryan you forgot the red Chevy 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 I pulled out as well...so that makes five pulls...Bryan and I tag teamed the pulls quickly and efficiently.

Great to see some familar faces and new ones as well.

I will say there was way too many folks who had no business being up there unprepared....if a storm rolled in it would've been ugly. I've climbed Rainier and have seen perfect sunny days turned to hell in hours..reguardless of forcasts(mountains create their own weather).

thx Ken for the quick pull. I got pulled out again farther down when tryin to pass a truck . The snow conditions were such it was easy to get stuck & especially offtrack.

A few pics from my perspective.

climbnhatch.jpg

hatchclimb.jpg

bratbryan.jpg

snowrun.jpg

regroup.jpg

airdown1.jpg

exp.jpg

:burnout:

We got off to a late start, hoping to meet everyone up there. We never found anyone, but we saw Scoobyclimbs going the opposite way once near the bottom of 70. Since I still haven't replaced my stolen Loyale, we took my Dakota. I managed to get stuck once when a guy driving down the east end of 72 in an H3 couldn't be bothered to move over farther than the center of the road. Of course he didn't stop to help either. :rolleyes:

We got off to a late start, hoping to meet everyone up there. We never found anyone, but we saw Scoobyclimbs going the opposite way once near the bottom of 70. Since I still haven't replaced my stolen Loyale, we took my Dakota. I managed to get stuck once when a guy driving down the east end of 72 in an H3 couldn't be bothered to move over farther than the center of the road. Of course he didn't stop to help either. :rolleyes:

Typical, found that most people there did not know that the down hill vehicle needs to pull to the shoulder. Gravity will get you out of most things you can get into.

Scoobyclimbs is very correct in his summation of the day. So many people that were there were so unprepared that if something had gone wrong someone may have died up there. I lost count of the number of rigs with street tires that were stuck in less than 6" of snow. And not all were 2wd's.

Oh well, at least we were prepared and ready to help those we came upon. Remember, never turn your back on a stuck rig. The next one you see may be yours.

Thanks again for the loaner Rob. It was fun to drive a big Hatchback again. Made me miss my old one.

Thanks for the pics and story Brian. And thanks to all that came along this year. I hope you had fun and maybe learned something as well.

Ken

Great pics and story, looks like it was great fun too. Wish I could have been there:-\ Next year for sure. I hope I can make a snow run before it melts tho.

And Bryan, the name is Rob, not Todd:confused:

My bad Rob. Havn't a clue where that came from haha. Still getting aquainted with the names and usernames off this board.

Sweet pics scoobyclimbs. Great to actually see a pic of me in the Brat.

Great pictures!

Typical, found that most people there did not know that the down hill vehicle needs to pull to the shoulder. Gravity will get you out of most things you can get into.

I didn't know that, but I don't spend any time in snow. The usual convention I've learned is that the uphill vehicle is supposed to back up.

Actually, offroad etiquette ALWAYS dictates that the vehicle going up the hill has the right of way. Backing down a hill can be very diffcult, and sometimes it is hard to get going again if you stop going up a hill. If you are heading down, pull over a little and make room.

That being said, I have had to drive up banks while going uphill to get out of the way of ill-prepared vehicles that were heading downhill and could not get out of the way!

Actually, offroad etiquette ALWAYS dictates that the vehicle going up the hill has the right of way. Backing down a hill can be very diffcult, and sometimes it is hard to get going again if you stop going up a hill. If you are heading down, pull over a little and make room.

That being said, I have had to drive up banks while going uphill to get out of the way of ill-prepared vehicles that were heading downhill and could not get out of the way!

Okay, good. That is what I've always read.

• 2 weeks later...