Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ford G63 in a Loyale

Hurley

Pardon my ignorance, but I tried searching on google to find out what a G63 is and couldn't find anything. What kind of engine is this and what did it come out of?

Anything is possible with enough time and money!:headbang:

And to answer your question, yes the loyale uses a transaxle, but it's longitudinally mounted, not transverse like most small FWD cars.

We don't call em G63 where i work, i can tell you that.

If i was gonna put an engine from ford into a subie, it would probably be the 3.0 V-6 from the escape, its no subie, but its definately the best motor reliability wise that ford has right now.

That is assuming that every other subaru motor on the planet was unrepairable, and subaru stopped building new cars.

yes it wasnt a very popular engine. and i cant remmeber what my friend said it went in i think one of the cars he mentioned was an eagle something or rather. its an inline four. and they werent very popular. he has one in his 1989dodge colt. he says he can get my one for about $800. Thats why i would get one of them instead of a V6. They are really cheap. Plus more power. Theyre a turbo so it put out about 135-140 hp. Sooo Much better than 90.

Sounds more like a Mopar motor as they own Eagle as well as Dodge.

You could do an ej22 n/a for less money and get the 135-140 HP and have a proven path to follow as many has done it now. And if you want turbo theres a bit more work but more HP as well!!

For what it's worth, my two cents. Stumpy

Got to thinking and remembered that Mitsubishi supplied engines for Chrysler back in the early days of their transverse series.

Did a search for the Mitsubishi g63 and JACK POT.

Still wouldn't be my choice if I had to go buy one. If I had a good one laying around, who knows!!

If your not into the easy already traveled path, it would be different and you could be the first pioneer!!

Stumpy

Sorry to all yes it is a 4G63 not ford. Stumpy, where can i find an EJ engine cheap? Under $800? And if so ill take that info. How much of a pain would it be to marry the G463 with my tranny? what would i need? Along those lines, when you say EJ is there a specific engine (car) impreza, outback, etc? thanks for all your help. And i have decided to stick with the 4 cyl because my car will still be my daily driver. If anyone is interested, i have found a way to get very very cheap and sometimes even free stuff (i.e. Car audio, speakers ((experimental stuff)), after market wheels((Toyota will be our only option)) and tires.) if anyone wants some info just message me.

4G63 to EA/EJ gearbox could need a completely different bellhousing welded/bolted to the engine or gearbox. Or if your lucky you could maybe do it with totally custom flywheel and a really interesting adapter plate? I don't think anyone here has looked at the swap before, so you would need the engine plus gearbox and figure out what is needed. Might even need a new input shaft made up for the gearbox..

Didn't the EVO's have a East West setup? Might make it that little bit harder.. But, it could be done. I've heard plenty of people getting the EJ22 engines in the US for under $800 and that even includes the loom and ECu most of the time.

I've picked up a couple of them on CraigsList for $300.00 (Give or take $75.). Runs decent but has tranny or other issues. $175 for the adapter, engine to trans. Still need a clutch set up. Have fly wheel that I got with 5speed d/r trans.

I prefer to pick up the whole car as there are other parts needed ie: wiring harness, cpu, y-pipe ect. And I get it all for the price of or not much more than an engine would cost me.

The Mitsubishi motor is unproven in a Subie. I understand they are a good motor though. An adapter plate to mate the trans to engine would be needed. Then of coarse a fly wheel that will fit in the subie bell housing. You would have to expermint or do plenty of research as it hasn't been done as far as I know.

The ej22 is very common in older Legacy's as well as newer one's and of corse in Forester's and newer Impreza's.

There is a company out there, can't think of there name or web site at the moment but they build ej25's for sand rails that run from 300 to 600 HP, depending on what you want to spend.

Stumpy

If you could get me a contact to one of these engines that would be so cool.

Thanks

Here's one in Denver, not sure how far from there you are.

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/234918338.html

Asking $550 obo with a shot trans.

Keep an eye on CraigsList in the car/truck and parts section for disabled ones or wrecked one's.

Edit: There are a couple in the parts section also:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/234792448.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/232638852.html

Edit#2: Here is the web site I was thinking about. Spendy but lots of great stuff!!

http://www.outbackmotors.com/index.html

Stumpy

I get it - fordG63.

Don't know too much about them, but they did a wideblock and a narrowblock - one for lonitudinal and one for traverse mounting. The starion had a turbo engine to RWD so might be the one to go for if you want power.

The increased centre of gravity probably won't help with cornering though.

Thanks man, turns out i live about 30 miles from denver. The thought is nice too with the autos, my loyale is a manual though but ill check it out. i think i am looking for the engine out of a 1995 impreza (2.2 L 135 - 145 HP) add a 4 inch lift and i think ill be set.

Justin