Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goofy Spare Tire Storage Idea

Dante

I have a goofy idea for mounting the spare tire.

Assuming there is enough room between the cowling ahead of the windshield and the air filter (I'll be running a weber with a filter that's smaller than the stock airbox) why couldn't I get a hood at the scrap yard, cut a hole in it and reinforce it to make up for the structural pieces that were in the hole? I know you would have to change the tire support a little and maybe cut the cowling, too (which I would not want to do), but if you could work it our it would give the car a cool '60s Land Rover look.

I know a roof rack would be more practical and easier to implement, but...

Originally posted by StormTrooper

might work out pretty well.. I'm looking at the spare tire carrier on the rear of a 4-runner at the J/y as a possible somethin to mod. Always liked the rear swing arm carriers

I've seen pictures of one of those on a wagon--looked sweet. Unfortunately, it was part of an expensive looking custom rear bumper. My buddy's built a couple Samurais and Diesel Landcruisers. He's trying to talk me into letting his guy build me a front bumper with a winch and a rear with a spare and fuel-can carrier, but if I did everything he's suggesting, I'd end up with a $10,000 '83 Sube :eek:

I had a similar idea (amongst the many mod's I want to do!)

there is at least one 80's american boat of car that has a tyre shape formed into it's rear decklid, I was thinking of getting one of these from a junkyard and cutting that part out and fabbing it into the existing hood...

-Dok

Originally posted by Karl

...there is at least one 80's american boat of car that has a tyre shape formed into it's rear decklid, I was thinking of getting one of these from a junkyard and cutting that part out and fabbing it into the existing hood...

I had a similar idea, but I was thinking of usine part of one of those hard SUV tire covers.

Maybe the idea's not so goofy after all.

The first guy to do this mod certainly gets the award for originality. With that fake spare tire bulge from a Continental mounted to the hood, I'm sure there'd be some interesting reactions when driving through the central district.

One argument in favor of keeping the spare under the hood is that it's there for a safty reason. Years ago I was in a bad crash and that spare tire helped the engine pivot down and under our feet when we piled into the car ahead of at 50 or so mph.

My rear tire carrier only cost around $15. It's off a Cherokee and attached to a steel u-channel bumper I got for free from work. There's pro's and cons with any spare tire location. If I did it again I'd either build my own rear carrier styled like the Aussi's or else I stick it on the roof like everybody else.

I was planning on doing a jeep style swing arm on back as well (i'm all about redundancy!), as far as the looks rollin' thru the CD goes...I would shave it so it was only the bulge getting rid of that fake wire wheel looking stuff the conti has on it...

where'd you get the rear mount for only 15 clams?

-Dok

OK how this for a tire carrier this is the way I'm building mine

2x2 tubing about 39 in with 2 2/16 or 3/16 (L) brackets welded on the ends. on mine thats the measurements between the tow hooks in the rear drill a hole in the end of the (L) bracket so you can bolt it in place or you can weld it.

take 2 2x2 tubing about 20 inch long and just so they just stick out on each side of the licence plate of the bumber (so that the end sticks out does that make sence?) and weld them in place

then use 2 inch round tubing so that it will slide inside the 2x2 square tubing bend it in a (U) shape then on the side view bend it in a (L) shape.

this is custom to your subaru but the idea is that the round tubing will slide in and out of the square 2x2 tubing weld the bracket to hold the tire drill 2 holes to keep from sliding in and out use 1/4 inch bolts or 1/4 pins

hope this make sence to atleast a couple of you kinda hard to decribe

Hassey

I just thought of an easrier way to decribe my idea above I know every ones seen those remove able trailer hitches that you can remove for either a diferant size, or to replace with a bike rack and what not.

mines the same idea except i would double it with one on eihter side of the licence plate and i would use round tubing going in to the square so no matter what angle you need to join the two at the top it won't bind

the tube going into the square will be about 20 inches long or so, and will just slide out and still stay in place so i can open the tail gate but i can slide it all the way out in needed

Hassey

Hassey, I don't know if I am following you. Would the spare swing, or would you just pull a pin or bolt and slide the whole mounting assembly out to open the hatch?

A roof mount is definitely more practical. I think there may be a safari rack in my future, anyway :slobber:

I said my idea was goofy in the subject, but it is fun and the safety angle is one I had not thought of. My car is pretty straight. I would only want to do the hood thing if I could store my hood and cut a hole in a junk yard hood--I don't want to mess with my cowling. If you could mount the spare so you could cut the hole just ahead of the back edge of the hood, I think it would also be easier to reinforce and/or to add a cover.

Last night I had the idea of fabricating a sheet metal or fiberglass "power bulge" that would rise from near the front of the hood back to the cowling to cover the spare. It would give the car a tongue-in-cheek "muscle car" look ;)

No it would not swing you'd pull a pin/bolt and it would slide out so you can open the tail gate but the arms would still be long enough that it would remain in the square sleeves

this is what i'm builing for my brat but the appication will work on your Hatch or wagon

like i said above i got the idea from the trailer hitches that you can see on all most any suv or truck the hitch slides out so you can replace with diferant sizes hithches or a bike rack or just remove for the winter

but on mine the arms will be about 20 inches to 25 inches long so it will slide out just enough to open the tail gate

Hassey