Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Colorado Snow run aka XMAS tree run (minus trees)

December 2, 9:30am at the Sonic in Golden.

17191 SOUTH GOLDEN ROAD

GOLDEN, CO 80401-2857

...same one that we ended up at after a Red Rocks meet a while back.

Bring a CB if you have it.

Be prepared please! Bring a shovel, sand, tow strap, etc. Don't rely on other people to have these items.

Sorry for delay in posting I thought I hit submit before I went to bed.

Where we headed Shawn?

Should be able to make it, think there was something else on the 2nd but not sure. Have to check with the wife.

(I have a brand new never used set of cables for a stock Subaru if anyone needs them, they were in the back of the sedan when I bought it and defintely won't fit on my 29" tires :brow: )

Boston's official "Holiday/Christmas" (they can't decide which name is most politically correct and doesn't "offend" anyone... arrrrrgggghhh!) tree is laying on its side, in the grass, due to wet ground that won't support its weight. 42 feet is all... so you know it's wet here, need more than sand a tow rope... blub, blub....

Where we headed Shawn?

)

I have 2 options I am exploring so that if it dumps snow we aren't SOL....one of the routes would not be good after a foot drops out of the sky and the other wouldnt be any good if it hadnt snowed in the last few days. Ill have it hammered out after Thanksgiving with a few days to spare before the meet.

I'm performing for a corporate Xmas party Dec 1. They get pretty wild. This year the company's doing it in a hotel and they gave me a room......something tells me I may not be alive at that time in the morning.

I can catch up with everyone a little later though, but I'll need a number to call (if there's cell there) to get to your location.

--E

December 2, 9:30am at the Sonic in Golden...same one that we ended up at after a Red Rocks meet a while back.

Bring a CB if you have it.

Be prepared please! Bring a shovel, sand, tow strap, etc. Don't rely on other people to have these items.

Sorry for delay in posting I thought I hit submit before I went to bed.

that's the sonic off of ken carl right?

hey if anybody is actually cutting a tree, please do it legally and get a permit through the usfs. there are several cutting areas. we use the red feathers one, i don't know about the more southern places, but it's easy enough to find out. that's all. have fun!

No worries John we are leavin the trees out of this. Are you going to come along!?!?!

I'm performing for a corporate Xmas party Dec 1. They get pretty wild. This year the company's doing it in a hotel and they gave me a room......something tells me I may not be alive at that time in the morning.

I can catch up with everyone a little later though, but I'll need a number to call (if there's cell there) to get to your location.

--E

You still have my #? tres o tres sixer four uno seven niner four sevener.

So far:

Adam (hatch)

Me (hatch)

Jeff: Not that Sonic. Its truly in Golden Slightly north of Taj Mahal (courthouse) on the street with all the roundabouts.

Where's the two options at Shawn?

It just started snowing so getting a gauge on how bad (good) it would be might be hard right now but heres my favorite places to go....and we can do both and allow people to break off and go back toward home at the end of option one which might work nicely.

Leg 1 takes you on a short but typically snowy drive that should be passable in virtually any 4wd/AWD Subaru including legacy/XT6, etc, assuming the driver has some snow experience and decent winter tires and sense.

From Golden we head up 93 briefly to Golden Gate Canyon. West up the canyon to Robins Hill Road (Robinson Hill Road on some maps) and make a Left (southish).

A very small town at the crest of RobinsHill road points up into the mountains and might be numbered still as #69 RD. (hehehe--sorry). This is a narrow rural road that isnt well maintained, has lots of little challenges but isnt difficult. Very scenic considering distance from civilization.

At the end of RD 69 is Smith Hill Road (#7). Id go Right (North) and head back to Highway 46 (golden gate canyon road again);this is real close to the south end of Golden Gate Canyon State Park. At this intersection those that need to go back home would have a good option to make a Right and head back to Golden/Denver.

If people want to keep playing they can continue for leg 2 which basically is a side road trip up to Nederland where I would go up RD 128 to Caribou past Cardinal and the old Mine area. Every time I go up there this year there is more snow than the last time but the tracks up are improving. This road is tretcherous at times and will require lots of 1st gear creeping on the decent from Caribou so you dont lose control and slide.....well lets not go there. Safety first...I saw a Large ford expedition that was completely totalled up there from going too fast last time I was up there. And he was lucky total the vehicle it could have been the cliff instead.

So far:

Adam (hatch)

Me (hatch)

Jeff: Not that Sonic. Its truly in Golden Slightly north of Taj Mahal (courthouse) on the street with all the roundabouts.

i have no clue where that is

So far:

Adam (hatch)

Me (hatch)

i have no clue where that is

:headbang: buy yourself a beer on me russ:headbang:

you'll have a running car by the next meet

You know where that Subway is, near all those round a bout circle thingys? Its just further south, right next to the last circle.

The address is:

17191 SOUTH GOLDEN ROAD

GOLDEN, CO 80401-2857