Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick help, alternator swapage? 97 OBS -> 99 Forester?

So i have a friend stranded in VT, his alternator is dead.

Will the alternator from a 97 OBS work in a 99 Forester?

the OBS has a EJ22, and and forester has a EJ25.

I'm guessing they won't bolt right up, or might have a different amperage if they do bolt up.

We can hook him up to an optima red top, and have him drive on a dead alternator and suck down the red top for a while. any idea how far that will get him?

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, he's off of I-89, exit 4 mobile station, VT... if anyone lives near there & wants to make fun of him....

So i have a friend stranded in VT, his alternator is dead.

Will the alternator from a 97 OBS work in a 99 Forester?

the OBS has a EJ22, and and forester has a EJ25.

I'm guessing they won't bolt right up, or might have a different amperage if they do bolt up.

We can hook him up to an optima red top, and have him drive on a dead alternator and suck down the red top for a while. any idea how far that will get him?

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, he's off of I-89, exit 4 mobile station, VT... if anyone lives near there & wants to make fun of him....

lol, well, if it were me, just recharge the battery, then drive around, back in 1999, the alternator died on my subi, i didnt have a licence at the time, but were turning at a intersection, and right after my mom flew by the big rig, the car shivered, and died, and the car has a the original battery to, so my dad went to canadian tire got a new battery dropped it in, got us arround for 3 days, but no running ac, or vent, just windows down, and nothing else, and lights of course, and the radio a bit. But when it died, i was on my way to be dropped off at my friends house, so i called my dad, he got the alternator from shop he was near by, drove to where we were, and dropped in the alternator on the sideof the road, but i remeber the alternator was from a outback or a impreza, because the legacy oen was out of stock. But someone must have some experiecen with this, but to tell u the truth, i have seen some ebay alternators, and they say compatible with EJ22, and EJ25.